seats for otanobee

woodenkayakguy

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I have a couple questions about the seats on my otanobee. The frames are 1 1/2 x 7/8 and at some point someone screwed slats over the seat frames instead of re caning.question 1 are these consistent with the original measurements,question 2 what is a good source to learn how to re cane the seats I still haven't decided if i will reuse the old frames or build new ones to the old measurements
IMGP1802.jpg
[/IMG]
IMGP1804.jpg
[/IMG]
sorry the second photo wouldn't resize the spacing on the holes is 3/4 "

The dimensions are correct, and the frames look original. Use 3mm natural strand cane. Use the Chestnut/Peterborough pattern, details are available on this site. Its not that hard. If you can't find the threads with the info, I can supply the details

Thanks doug,I will look for info on caning,like I say I'm not sure if i will use these frames,when they screwed the slats on one frame cracked a bit and some of the screw holes didn't go through the existing cane holes

Thanks al that is the best instructions I have found yet. will probably buy my material from lee valley,probably don,t need the book now though
Mike

Thanks for posting those instructions,Al-- that's the booklet I used over 30 years ago to teach myself caning!

Kathy

In lieu of #8 wooden pegs, golf tees do the job, whether wood or plastic, of holding the cane in place between weaves.

The technical description in that booklet are very good, and far more complete than we can write here!

One tip that I have found very useful is in the preparation of the strands. Once they are coiled, soak them in water for about 20-30 minutes, then take them out and store them in a ziplock bag. Leaving them in water longer results in a grey stain in the strand, but keeping them in the bag legs the moisture seep in deep, keeps them moist till needed, and you can keep them in there hours and hours with no ill effect.

One caveat for using the info in the booklet, its not a pattern that would be authentic to your Peterborough. I am including a photo of the correct pattern. The grid strands are woven tandem as a double strand. The diagonals cross the overlap either both above or both below the grid intersections.

Attachments

• caneing pattern.jpg
    caneing pattern.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 251
Back