Searching for a canoe....that might not exist.

John Visser

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I've been in contact with a potential customer for over a month now about a canoe needed for an interior design project. The length needed is 11-13' for the space. Originally, I thought I would build one on the 11' form I bought earlier this year, but they changed their mind. So I sent a photo of the 11' Old Town(pic attached) that I am currently finishing the restoration on and was told it's not the right shape. I was sent an inspiration photo of a full size canoe hanging in a dining room(pic attached).
I'm assuming they are looking for a canoe of that length that is not so squat and tubby, but rather more streamlined with more upturned ends. I explained that most shorter canoes have a similar shape due to needing the increased width for buoyancy and stability. I offered a solution of taking a more classic looking canoe and scaling down all the dimensions proportionately to build a new 12' canoe that looks like a regular full length canoe, but was told a new build would not work as they are looking for something with a more distressed and aged finish.
I offered to stain the new build darker and take measures to distress the finish and the wood but I guess that wouldn't work.
Yes, I even offered to find a more common full length project canoe and cut the middle out to make a shorter canoe that might have the look they want.
I made sure to explain that old wood canvas canoes in this length almost never come up for sale compared to the seemingly endless supply of 16, 17, and 18 footers.
So, does anyone have an 11, 12, or 13 foot long, vintage/antique wood canvas canoe that is not "football" shaped like almost every other short canoe I've seen that they are looking to sell for use as an interior decoration? In decent shape with a distressed patina? But not a total basket case? They even specified green or blue exterior, and I'm assuming painting it wouldn't work because it would look too new? Does such a thing even exist?
Also I think I was told that it is needed by February.
I'm located in NY and willing to drive/arrange transport for the right boat.
Thanks for any help with this.

Attachments

• thumbnail.png
    thumbnail.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20241017_174555491.jpg
    PXL_20241017_174555491.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 13
I'm assuming painting it wouldn't work because it would look too new? Does such a thing even exist?

The short answer is yes, but it will probably be very expensive and could be a challenge to find before February. A good painter can make a new finish look old with a 'dirty wash' technique. Roger Young can explain the process if you don't have a local option.

Chestnut made some small narrow canoes. The 11-foot-long one in the archive at https://wcha.org/classified-archive/Chestnut-Featherweight-11-5-29-23.pdf sold last year. The other option is to get a large display canoe. The one at the first link below could work but these are exceptionally rare. The second and third links show modern alternatives. The fourth link is probably your best option if it needs to be old and a two tone brown exterior could work. The length is listed as 70 inches but this is probably a typographical error since most Kennebec models were about five feet long. Good luck and let us know how the story ends,

Benson

Last edited:
Back