Schuyler Thomson's shop

Hummy

Canoe Dude
I was over in CT today on some other canoe business and decided to stop by Thomson's shop. Wow! neat place and what a great guy. He had a group of young folks from a local school working on a boat, which they appeared to be most interested in. Imagine that! Young people doing something that didn't involve a keyboard! We chatted a bit, discussed my ideas, and I think I may stop by regularly and observe and learn. Scholar is one of those people one just wants to be around all of the time, something I've been deprived of because of my career. Once this weather breaks, I'll take a look at what he has in stock as a project boat. I'm pretty excited about this opportunity to say the least.

Side note, I opted not to look at the blue boat I had discussed earlier. I feel that I would want to stay with OT or something very similar around 18ish feet.
$_57-8.jpg

I bought my first wood canvas canoe from Schuyler many years ago, a 16' Chestnut Pal which has taken me on many fine canoe trips. Over the years I have bought parts from him, mostly to repair the Chestnuts I have banged up on trips. His knowledge and willingness to share has been a big help to me.

Last year a friend of mine was recovering from a debilitating back injury and he began to struggle with depression. I suggested he consider restoring an Old Town OTCA I had to help him get thru the winter. He called Schuyler and before long my friend Bob and I where fast at work on the canoe in Schuyler's shop.
Here's a thread about the canoe-
http://www.canoetripping.net/forums...ssions/wood-and-bark-canoes/837-canoe-therapy

Later this month, Bob and I will begin work on a E.M. White at Schuyler's shop. Although Bob's back is still a long way from recovery, spending time in Schuyler's shop has been a healing experience for Bob and given him much needed self worth. (and we have produced a few nice restorations too);)

I spent the morning with Schuyler and Frank at the shop, chatting while observing the experts and gathering information for my future project. They are working on a wooden OT motor boat, removing brass oval headed screws in order to remove bad ribs. What a PITA task...

Back