rolling stand for a canoe form

patrick corry

solo canoeist
Anticipating my first complete build, I made this rolling stand for the form. 24'x96"with the top approximately 30" off the floor. The strong back on which the form is built rests on four crossmembers of the stand and is clamped to the stand. I wanted to be able to roll the form out into the center of the work area or be moved to another section of the barn as other projects come and go, so it's built on lockable casters. Just curious to see how others do this. Please feel free to add pictures of your form stand.

There's a scrap piece of 1"x1" Ash clamped to the inwale position on the form just for practice (it's too short to make the full run of this 17.5' canoe). I was surprised that the oversized piece easily followed the fair curve with little persuasion and no soaking or steaming!

tempImageF7bllM.png
tempImageEQGKCk.png

A rolling table for the form is almost a requirement for any canoe shop. I only have one such table but it goes up an down!
When the table is down its easy to work on the top of the form and I can jack it up when working on the planking on the sides and even farther up when nailing the ribs to the rails. It certainly saves on the bending over and working below my waist.

Attachments

• Copy of table jack1.JPG
    Copy of table jack1.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Copy of table jack3.JPG
    Copy of table jack3.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 128
  • Copy of table jack5.JPG
    Copy of table jack5.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Copy of table jack6.JPG
    Copy of table jack6.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 107
  • Copy of table jack7.JPG
    Copy of table jack7.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 106
Rollin, that's brilliant! I saw the end view of your form table on a Facebook picture and surmised that was it's purpose. I didn't notice how cleverly you do the raising with the scissor lift! I assumed some beefy strong guy lifted each end while another person re-adjusted the clamps.

Back