Rhinelander canoe

bignambadaddy

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I just acquired a Rhinelander canoe. I'm having a hard time finding any background information on it, such as model number, years Rhinelander made this canoe,etc. Any information would be appreciated.
Rick, member WCHA

Rick, was this the one listed on ebay recently?

The only place for info for this I know of is Dan Miller's site, Dragonfly.

Dan

Dan,
Yes, this was on Ebay, although the bidding expired without a sale. I went on the DragonFly website and there wasn't any additional info that I didn't already have. All I really know about this Rhinelander canoe is Rhinelander Boat Company started in 1903. I hoping that there is some WCHA member out there might have more information as to the styles that they made, and years produced. Just for your information, it has all mahogey decks, thwarts, seats and inner and outer rails.
I have repaired canoes in the past, but this one will be a challenge as most of the center ribs are broken along the tumblehome. If you have any input on how to repair without losing the shape of the hull, I'd appreciate it.
Rick

Rick,

Ya, I quit at 500, the reserve was "higher". :(
Sounds like it is a nice canoe.

Hopefully Dan M or another pro will add some history, I only "know" what I see on Dan's site.

As for the ribs, I only take them out 1 at a time and bend the new ones over a "straight/fair" portion of the hull. I start at the rib/s closest to the ends and work my way toward the middle. I measure the width of the rib being replaced and make sure I bend at the same dimension. It takes a while and I'm sure those more experienced can do it faster but it has worked for me. The last project I replaced all the ribs between the 2 quarter thwarts, about 20, and the canoe ended up reasonably fair.

Good luck and post a few pics when you can.

Dan

Hopefully Dan M or another pro will add some history,

I started to follow some leads in researching Rhinelander back when I lived in Wisconsin, but never got anywhere. The only thing I have in addition to the meager info in the ID Guide is there is a one page (front and back) undated flyer on the Historic CD. It shows a 16' Lake model and an 18' Camp model canoe.

Cheers,
Dan

Hi all,

As Dan Miller said, there isn't much available on the company and its production.

I can ad the following:
Rhinelander Boat Co was founded in 1903 and supposedly carried on business for another 50 years. In 1906 they reported that they had 22 skilled boat builders employed and manufactured boats and canoes with a possible annual output of 800 boats. The company also manufactured decoy ducks to the extent of about six dozen per day. The company had several agents carrying their wares. Some of their boats and canoes were built to B.N. Morris patterns.

Cheers, :)
Dick Persson
Headwater Wooden Boat Shop

Last edited:
Dick,
Thanks very much for the information on the Rhinelander. I have a feeling there isn't much information out there, but every little bit helps. Will post some pictures later.

Back