Restoration without a shop

PMK

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Does anyone have experience doing a restoration outdoors? Challenges faced and strategies for meeting them?

One of the challenges facing my restoration is that I have an 8 x 8 tool shed, a large yard, and various trees--but no shop. I am looking at ways to put up tarps to provide some cover from weather. I have identified two trees, each more than 8" in diameter, about 23' apart; I am wondering if they will work to hang the canvas sling for my 18' OT Guide.

Paul

Biggest challenge is avoiding the rain, and keeping hot sun off of new finishes while they dry. as for the 23', i regularly canvas outside with 22' between my deck posts, with the 12'high deck providing nice shade. Maybe run a rope between the trees high enough up and make a shelter same as a tent fly with tarps. I have a great 20x15 tarp that would work very well; just remember the ropes and dont trip on them!

I too do not have a decent shop. I did use one bay of the garage, but the lighting was poor and it lacked space. Then that bay of the garage got filled with projects and lumber instead of my wife's car:eek:. I actually don't mind working in the driveway. Plenty of room, and sort of fresh air. I mulch the saw dust. I have a number of canoe slings and sawhorses of varying heights, and I move projects around depending on the stage of restoration. I am a big fan of the upside down canvassing method and all you need are tall horses, two anchor points and a come-a-long. I have also canvassed right side up between two trees and that works fine as well, but you need to put some weight in the hull.

As Andre mentioned, picking good painting days is a challenge. Long periods of bad weather slow the production line up too.

Keep us posted on your project.

Fitz

Get one of those tents/"instant garages".
The "white" flat gabled versions are fairing cheap, or find a used one, I see them often on c-list.
I got mine used for about $75, and had it up for 3 years now with no problems. You do have to remove the snow in the winter.

Dan

Fitz,

I think it is time that the Norumbega guys organize an Amish style barn raisin' at your place. All you have to do is have all the lumber on site, the timber frame mortise & tenons all cut into the beams and the bents for the barn frame all pegged together and we'll swoop in & raise 'er up & sheath 'er in!! Maria and the neighbor ladies can have tables of food & drink laid out. It will be a grand ole time! Sound like a plan? That is of course after you have written your environmental impact statement to satisfy the onerous building permit regulations and conservation commision hearings required for construction in sensitive wildlife habitats (like along route 2 LOL) that I recall so well being in place in the wunnerful town of Concord.

Ed

I think it is time that the Norumbega guys organize an Amish style barn raisin' at your place. All you have to do is have all the lumber on site, the timber frame mortise & tenons all cut into the beams and the bents for the barn frame all pegged together

Jeez, is that all I would have to do? Unlike Dan Miller, it might only take me a decade or two. I could copy the beams in my house though!

Environmental Impact Statements are relatively easy. I wouldn't need to consider all the excess traffic exiting Route 2 into the canoe shop at all!

I looked at the instant garages online. A white one such as Dan describes is $300 new through Amazon. For the moment, I have cleared vines and some brush from the area between the two trees I plan to use for stretching the canvas, leveled the dirt a bit, and have strung a $23 tarp between the trees as a shade and rain cover.

Fitz--in the upside down canvasing method, would my two trees serve as the anchor points? Can you direct me to a fuller description?

Also, to connect the real world and this virtual one, are you the John Fitz I just spent the day with at the WCHA booth at the Salem Maritime Festival, or are there two Fitzes?

Paul,

The Fitz that you and I spent the day with at the Salem Maritime Festival is one and the same. He just doesn't have much resemblance to his photo avatar!!!!!

Our rib steam bending demonstration did surely generate some interest by those that attended. Good time was had by all.

Ed

Yes, Paul that was me. I do come from a long line of Fitzy's though. It was nice bending ribs with you yesterday. I didn't have my head dress on yesterday, but given all the pirates, witches, and 19th century sailors walking around, I should have sported it!

Here is a thread I did for curious people at the WoodenBoat Forum.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?141075-Canvassing-Your-Canoe&highlight=Canvas

If bet there is a great deal of info on this website too on canvassing. Try the search function.

When you get to the canvas stage, put out an APB (all points bulletin) and a bunch of Norumbega types will likely show up and make quick work of it, especially if donuts are mentioned.

Cheers,

Fitz

Killbear Trophy

Andre':

Not unlike the Olympic Flame, the coveted Killbear Trophy moved slightly North and changed hands enroute to Killbear. I am afraid I will not be able to lose anymore clothing in the Bay this year. :mad:

Sadly I missed the canoe day in Salem - prior commitment to the British car show in Wolfeboro. Did you guys also get rained on?

Fitz - shameless plug for my friend Dave's business...Shelters of New England (www.sheltersofnewengland.com) - he'll fix you right up.

I have garage space - upstairs and down - but so full of decades of crap that I can't get from one end to the other, much less park more than one car. I need a dumpster.

I don't have room for another shed, and my wife has a "no blue tarp in the yard policy", so cleaning the garage is step one for doing my current OT 50 pounder project.

JIM in NH

No Killbear, that sucks. Jobs and a finite amount of vacation sure can be inconvenient. Hugh Horton tells me he cant make it up either. Now who will take those awesome photos? grrrrr.

We'll have to excuse Fitz for not looking like his photo avatar. After all, I don't look much like mine.

Fitz, thanks for the link to your thread on the Wooden Boat forum. Very helpful--reassuring even!

Paul

Back