Restoration of Prospector?

Outback Mack

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello, I'm just starting to restore a 16ft prospector and instead of recanvassing the canoe. I would like to use a 6oz. fiberglass cloth instead of canvas. Any suggestions on how to fill the small gaps between the planks,do I fill with wood slivers, caulking, or any other product? Or can I leave these gaps open? Outback Mack

Please don't do it.

There are a lot of folks that will gladly trade their fiberglass canoe for yours so why bother.

fiberglassing

Hello Dave, I have the old canvas already removed and thought it would be cheaper and lighter and have experience with fiberglas cloth when constructing my 15ft bobs special stripper.

Someone did that years ago to a Thompson canoe I have.....wish they didn't. :(

There are a number of resaonable reasons why that isn't such a good idea.

canvas rules

Outback Mack said:
Hello, I'm just starting to restore a 16ft prospector and instead of recanvassing the canoe. I would like to use a 6oz. fiberglass cloth instead of canvas. Any suggestions on how to fill the small gaps between the planks,do I fill with wood slivers, caulking, or any other product? Or can I leave these gaps open? Outback Mack

Mack: canvas and the so called dope that makes it tough and waterproof are flexable. just like the wood that baks up the skin.The sealer is a schalac type product. Don't deviate from the instructions.
myles

canvas rules

Hi Mack
Canvas is absolutly the material to use. Like the wood that the canoe is built from canvas is flexable. The sealer that keeps it tough and waterproof is a shelac product and so is also flexable. Use stainless steel staples. I did my canoe a few years ago and it was pretty easy. Much easier than brass tacks because one can easily pull the staples if more streching is neccesary.
good luck
myles

Hello Myles & Martin,

Thanks guys for the info on canvas and repairs,will decide if I will use canvas or the lighter fiberglas.

outback mack

Hi Mack

Glass is not lighter, It is heavier. And it really messes up the rib/plank canoe. it is suited to well strippers. Check out the other discussions on 'glassing a rib/plank canoe.
I have some experience with 'glassed Old Towns etc.
If you want lighter, then consider using a dacron covering.
I am currently working on an Old Town for a friend. It had been restored a few years ago and the restorer used 'glass on the outside. he was a pretty good woodworker and the 'glass job was pretty well done but that canoe really sufferred. It necessitated new stems and decks, new in/outwhales, and I milled ALL new planking. All but about 10 ribs will be replaced. it is an arduos task for an amatuer such as myself.

If you 'glass it figure on a heavier canoe with a shorter life expectancy. having done both canvassing and 'glassing I can say that canvassing is easier to do and by a good margin.

let us know how it goes.
Regards. Dave.

Back