Respite from canoe building...

patrick corry

solo canoeist
I took a 3 day holiday from building the Atkinson Traveler; the varnishing was getting tedious! Paddled in the St. Regis Canoe Area in the Adirondacks, not far from- and actually connected to via several carries- the waters of Lower St. Regis Lake and Paul Smith's College, the WCHA Assembly site.
tempImage0Jl5fw.png

tempImageqagnWd.png

Though the Fall foliage is probably near peak viewing, the weather was poor so colors were quite muted. Each day rained a bit, and it seems no matter in which direction I paddled I had a headwind and rain in the face, with waves to battle as well. No matter, the Island Falls Willow handled it all and is pretty lightweight (52lbs) so easy to carry between ponds.

First night in a tent with tarp over, not so much for rain protection of the tent, but it provides a dry place to pack up all gear in the morning. Last 5 minute chore is to take the tarp down and stuff into a dry bag so as not to get other gear in my pack wet.
tempImageilUEnJ.png
tempImagetmAPsY.png

The second night was spent in an Adirondack leanto. I was glad to have the roof over my head and avoid the need to set up and take down a tent. Periods of heavy rain cemented my decision to make the effort to reach that site on St. Regis Pond. I had never seen the leanto available before, but the cold, rainy conditions meant that I had the whole pond to myself so no competition for the site.
tempImageXQ0Ai0.png

Tarp rigged over the open side of the leanto to thwart winds blowing directly off the pond into the leanto:
tempImage6NYks3.png

The paddle out to Little Clear Pond was uneventful, with the cloud shrouded St. Regis Mountain lurking behind the boulders pictured:
tempImageVZ5zoD.png

Nearing the takeout, and... trip over!
tempImaget9yyGJ.png
tempImageBxvY5z.png
tempImagecipKdF.png

It is really rare to find that lean-to open.
Last time I saw it open I was on the last day of my trip and we were in no need of another place to stay. We pushed by and headed up to Spitfire, Paul Smiths and the carry to North Bay to get to our car at the yacht club. This is the prime time to paddle up there so even with rain, bravo.

Back