Replacement canvas

Magma123

I have been looking for a special canvas I used on my antique 16' Prospector
canoe 20 years ago with no success whatsoever and I was wondering if someone might be able to suggest a replacement.

The stuff was called Vera-light (or veralight, veralite...). It consists in a very thick canvas covered on one side with rubber which was melted on. It has a phenomenal resistance: a sharp wood chisel could not go through it. It is installed just like regular canvas, but no covering is needed because of the the rubber exterior. It was supposed to last 10-12 years, but it lasted close to 18! I was very pleased with it. I liked the fact that I didn't need to go through the extra step of covering 'raw' canvas. Major bonus!

I installed it myself after following a workshop in Ottawa, Canada, but the store doesn't exist anymore. I have even been looking at awning maker fabric and on the web: no luck. I did find a lower grade equivalent at an army surplus store, but I am not confident with it.

Any suggestions?

Eric Simard
Teacher - Designer & canoe enthusiast
Montreal, QC, Canada

Salut Eric,
A search of this forum using "verolite" yields a bunch of threads to start your follow up.

Replacement Canvas...

Now that is wonderful!
I had been actively searching for 2 years now. I guess I should have called on pros (you) right from the start! I was even able to find a supplier of Dacron canvas not too far form here.

Thanks to you, I should be once again parting water in my favorite canoe by the end of July!

Keep up the good work!

Eric Simard
Teacher, Designer & Canoe enthusiast

Back