Re-forming an inwall?

Mark67

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I have a question/ idea that I'd appreciate some input on. I am re-working an older canvas/ rib canoe of unknown manufacturer and birth date. It had been hanging in a neighbor's boathouse for a couple of decades. It's in good condition, save for a funny wiggle it has on the port gunwale. It looks like it had spent some time resting on this side, and it reshaped itself. (see photo)
So the question, can I get the original shape back? My thought/ idea is to copy the starboard side lines, and try to "press" the port side back into shape. I was thinking of using a 2 x 12 as the "dies". (See crummy sketch) And clamping these together while soaking the sidewall with hot water.
What do you all think? Anybody try this before, with any results good or bad? I'm hoping to try it this coming weekend, so I'll try to remember to photo document it.

Thanks in advnace for any and all comments!

Attachments

Are you sure the outwale is good solid wood? Seeing as you have to pull them off anyway to re-canvas... Why not take them off and see if they're soft (in need of replacement). When you get them off, you could try putting the good outwale in place on the crooked inwale side with a few C clamps, and cross-bracing from the opposing side, just to see what happens...

Thanks for the suggestion.
The outwales are still very solid, so I'll give this method a try first.

Hi Mark,

First I'd remove the front seat and leave the thwart. Then I'd support the opposite gunnel, with like a 2x4 clamped to the inside of the canoe.

Then I'd run a long clamp from the 2x4 to the apex of the "bump" on the opposite gunnel and pull it an inch or so beyond where you'd want it to allow for spring back.

I'd wrap the gunnel with hot wet towels and let them soak the rib tops as well.

I'd leave the wet towels on the canoe for a few days. Remove the towels and let it dry for another few days and then remove the clamps.

If that don't work you'll need to replace at least the outwale.

Good luck,

Paul

I forgot to mention that Elburn isn't that far from Bolingbrook if you'd like to stop out for a canoe/workshop tour.

Later,

Paul

Thanks for the alternate idea. I think I've got my work cut out for me this weekend.

Mark

A steam generating wall paper remover is handy to periodically reheat the damp towels. Keep it wet for a week or more. Make a curved form (2x6 or wider) from the good side and clamp it inside the distortion. Let it dry for a week or more.

R.C.

Back