Ralph Frese retiring???

pklonowski

Unrepentant Canoeist
The Chicagoland Canoe Base web site says "Business for sale -- owner retiring." Hard to imagine Ralph retiring... he hasn't changed much in the 40 years since I first met him.

But he has two W/C canoes for sale, see the link:
http://chicagolandcanoebase.com/catalog_detail_v2.cfm?cat=3&sub=54&layout=1

Nothing I can take on right now, but thought people might be interested...

I was wondering why re-canvas the one, and leave the rib & plank replacement for later? Wouldn't it be easier, since the old canvas was off anyway, to replace the rib & plank at that point?

maybe this.

If i had a cracked rib that ran under the stem and it wasn't too bad, I might leave it so as not to have to tear it apart as much. Not sure about the planking. I did have a damage event that broke out a small piece of planking and glued it back as the canvas was new.

Chicagoland Canoe Base

I believe Ralph has had this up for sale for awhile. The original intent was to create a Canoe Museum to rival the Canadian Canoe Museum but I also suspect there were very few takers. Ralph is a great guy and his efforts deserve better. The location is historic on the Continental Divide despite parking and traffic. I have had great memories visiting Ralph and Chicagoland Canoe Base...watching a canoe being delivered through the store is a sight to behold!

All the best to Ralph!

Ric

Back