Still at it.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 832
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 832
I would like some day to have you build for me a little Morris with a little Bert that wasn't a former Ken (sorry Barbie). Your work is amazing. As I've said, you are the Tappan Adney of wood/canvas canoes! (plus the paddlers!)

Hi Folks

I have Chris' Racine Navajo #19 here in Rochester, NY. I commissioned this in 198? when Chris and Ellen were still here and I was their attorney.

Tragedy struck about two years later when my office bookshelf, where this beauty was displayed, collapsed from the weight of law books. I was buried in books and the canoe was crushed - two pieces.

Chris was dismayed (an understatement), "First, I hate you. Second, I can't fix it". "C'mon, Chris, sure you can. Just like you would restore the real thing!" and dropped it off at his home. Six months (?) later, it was back on the shelf - re-glued and screwed (the shelf - not the canoe). Perfect restoration. What a craftsman.

Complaint - the center thwart keeps falling out. It seems to be about 1/4 inch short leaving too little to take enough glue to last through the change of seasons. I was fabricating a longer replacement but it dawned on me that maybe there were supposed to be 4 thwarts instead of three and I was mis-placing the "short" one to the widest point in the center and it belonged closer to an end. I called up a photo on-line and found this discussion and pictures. Nope - three thwarts.

At the risk of touching up a Picasso, .... First try in cherry is still too clunky. Needs another 10 minutes of fine sanding. Besides, it should be mahogany. You out there Chris?

Chris Werner
Rochester, NY
mistrfix@aol.com
cwerner@boylancode.com

Yes!! It probably "relaxed" over time. You can send me the origional thwart and I can make you a mahogany one no charge, just let me know how much longer exactly. Text me with details. 616-581-5918. Hope all is well!!!

Chris

Great to hear from you. I sent photos via text with dimensions for the thwart. Tell me where to send the original to swap out. What glue should I use to install it?

Also, what finish do you suggest to use to "refresh" my/your canoe. A good compressed air blow-out did much but it needs some freshening with a very light coat. I rubbed on a bit of Waterlox and then wiped it down again with a bit of thinner in a rag. Stop me before I destroy it.

I tried last night to replicate your paddles and came to know the detail of yours more intimately. Mine is good for maybe Barbie and Ken's ADK Camp but could not match the lightness or detail.

Also realized that pictures do not do your work justice. I have taken #19 for granted all these 25+ years as I passed by daily. It took a hard look in an effort to replicate some of the components to truly appreciate your commitment to your art. It was a joy to imitate the master and spend more time with this beautiful work.

Regards,
Chris

Back