Potential Peterborough Cedar Canvas canoe

Ethan

Hello there, new comer here nice to meet you all. I landed myself a nice cedar canvas canoe. It has the recurve of something similar to a peterborough high end champlain or 604 but if the seat and yoke configuration is still original it doesnt seem quite right. the stem on bow side has 4 numbers that reads 1433, a quick search online tells me its a peterborough rideau??? although I have no idea what the rideau model looks like haha. Please help identify this beautiful old boat thank you.
1719248907818.png

I just realized I did not provide any dimensions, I know the length of the hull is 16', I am going to go measure beam, depth, and bow height now

The information at the first link below identifies the Peterborough model number 1433 as the 16 foot long Ontonabee. Pages 22 and 26 of the 1950 Peterborough catalog at the second link below describe this model further. The seats and center carry yoke appear to be replacements on your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions. Nice find,

Benson

Last edited:
The information at the first link below identifies the Peterborough model number 1433 as the 16 foot long Ontonabee. Pages 22 and 26 of the 1950 Peterborough catalog at the second link below describe this model further. The seats and center carry yoke appear to be replacements on your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions. Nice find,

Benson

Thank you for your help, yes Id say that a lot of the ribs and the yoke was renewed in perhaps the 60s as 2 or 3 ribs looks significantly darker, now I can buy a peterborough decal and slap it on the deck :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back