Posible Kennebec invisible sponson canoe S/N 22629 16

JRdickinson

Hi Benson
The assembly was, as always very interesting and enlightening. I always come home inspired. I just took out my stripper and applied it to the stems of that invisible sponson canoe I showed you. There is a serial number on both stems. Very difficult to see but this is what I can make out. (22629 16) Does that match up to a Kennebec canoe serial number? Another question I have is, In your data base of canoe companies I don't see anything from the CP Nutting Company of Waltham, Mass. I ask because I have a 16' specimen in not too bad (unrestored shape) shape. I found it very unique as it has 7" wide planking. I can share photos and would enjoy learning from other members about their Nutting canoes.
Thank You
Jim

Hi Jim,

It was great to see you again too. The Kennebec Canoe Company canoe with serial number 22629 on a 16 foot long canoe shown on pages 110 and 111 of volume four in the Kennebec ledgers. This was a Kennebec model type A with sponsons that was planked by Roy on March 14th, 1936 and the sponsons were installed by Mansell on March 21st, 1936. Thib. installed the canvas and first filler coat on March 28th, 1936. Giroux applied the second filler coat and Thompson installed the rails on March 27th, 1936 (which seems out of sequence). The "F 22" (Function number 22 or the keel?) was completed by Thib. on July 4th, 1936. It was painted red. It shipped to location "36-375" on August 19th, 1936. This location is probably an order number but we don't currently have enough information to identify it. The scans of these build records can be found by following the links at the attached thumbnail images below. The original Kennebec records are reproduced through the courtesy of the Maine State Museum.

The microfilms and scans of these records were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA). I hope that you will renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/join.php to renew.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match the boat. There are no known Nutting serial number records but please post some pictures of yours, especially if the serial number font is different from the other Nutting example shown below. There have been several threads about Nutting with a lot of good information. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions. Thanks,

Benson

Attachments

• k-22629-a.gif
    k-22629-a.gif
    651.1 KB · Views: 227
  • k-22629-b.gif
    k-22629-b.gif
    338.3 KB · Views: 198
  • Nutting-3211b.jpg
    Nutting-3211b.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 200
Back