peeling paint ?

JRC

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I bought an Old Town boat 4-5 years ago; she's been sitting out in my shed peeling paint.

I'm pretty sure the guy that I bought the boat from painted over un-cured filler.
Around the gunwales, the keel, and the transom the paint is peeling, I'm sure these are the areas that never cured because the filler was thicker.
The paint is sticking just fine in some spots. lol

I'd like to save the canvas.

I tried 36 grit, and sanded till I got fuzz from the canvas, then quit.
I think this will work, but you will still have the old filler in the weave.

I'm going to try water, and a sponge to see if I can soften the filler.

Any other ideas?

Once I get down to the canvas, there will still be areas that will have old filler.
Can I just reapply new filler over the old?

Thanks

Jim

Bummer Jim but if the filler is OK you can save it.
36 grit is very aggressive. I would use a much finer paper. Step one is to take care of the peeling paint. I'd carefully use a scraper.
Once you have the flakes removed you can then go at it with 220 and 320...hmmm, did you mean 360? That would be ok.
Feather out any places where there was peeling and then paint just the places where you are down to filler. I would use a thinned paint to start with. Make sure you have lightly sanded to give the filler some tooth. Let that dry and then block it to see if it levels out. You will need do this a few times.
Once you are satisfied with it, hand sand the entire boat and then re-paint it. You will probably need to do a few coats.
You might want to find out what kind of paint was used previously and use the same if it is a good quality product. If it's porch paint, I'd use something better. I love Epifanes but folks also like Kirby. Be generous whatever you decide to use.

Spent a couple of hours sanding the boat.
The green shiny paint came off in chips.
There does not appear to be a primer coat under the green paint, just filler.
The filler ends and gets thin a few inches in from the gunwales.
The filler is rock hard, and there's enough of it there, that I should be able to get a smooth finish.

I would still like to apply a thin coat of filler right up to the gunwales.
Can I overcoat the old filler, or would it be better to even things out with more coats of primer, then sand and paint?

I've always used Epifanes paints and primers.
Good stuff.

Thanks for the info.

Jim

You will get different opinions but I never put filler on over filler. If you really feel like you need to build it up use EZ Fare carefully with a spackling knife. Keep it thin or you'll end up with a mess. It's like using bondo. Once it starts to go stop and make more.
Or, try a filling primer paint in those areas
Sadly, it's hard to fix a finished canvas that wasn't done right the first time. You may need to settle. The good news is it's not going to be visible inside the boat. If it's waterproof, that's 90% of the battle.

I just want to putter around in it.
So as long as she floats, we're good to go.

Reactions: MGC
Re filler on filler; depends on what the original filler is.
Could be;
-traditional linseed-based filler
-epoxy + fairing compound/microballoon thickener
-latex spackle compound or filling primer
In all cases, once these re dry/cured, water will not soften them.
In any case, if you soften them, sandpaper will simply clog/gum up.
Seems like you are past this and have already sanded the hard filler.
As Mike (MGC) suggested above, you could apply (brand) fairing compound along the wales. Or building primer. Sand and paint.

Back