Original 1956 Old Town Octa 16' value

KurtS

Curious about Wooden Canoes
My father bought this Old Town canoe in 1959. It was a custom order that wasn't picked up - I don't recall if if was for a person or for the dealer's family, but it sat for several years at the dealer before he bought it. AA level with a keel, outside stems, and a floor rack. The canoe is original - original canvas, paint, varnish, etc. The only thing that was done is the one seat was recaned after a mouse decaned it. It was in amazing condtion but my father incorrectly stored it for a few years and the paint cracked and the varnish shrank.
What's the approximate value? Sorry about the pictures, hard to show due to where it is stored.
Thanks!
Kurt

Attachments

• 20210728_200337.jpg
    20210728_200337.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 20210728_200437.jpg
    20210728_200437.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 20210728_200320.jpg
    20210728_200320.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 20210728_200541.jpg
    20210728_200541.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 20210728_200417.jpg
    20210728_200417.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 107
Hi Kurt,
You should look this post over to draw your own conclusions. After buying and selling canoes since 1971, my answer is whatever someone is willing to pay.

What your canoe has going for it is that it appears to be quite original. That suggests that restoring it should be fairly straight forward and not requiring a lot of carpentry.
It does look like it's due for a canvas. Someone may try to convince you that the crazed paint can be sorted. It cannot. The wood needs to be cleaned, sanded and varnished. If you do these jobs yourself, the material costs are under $600 plus the cost of your time.
If you need to have the work done. expect to pay at least $200 plus per foot, at a minimum.
If you decide to sell it as is, make sure you are not setting a price based upon it's restored value.

Thanks, that was helpful and gave me a starting point.
Unlike antique vehicles were originality is highly valued, condition matters more with boats. :)
Is the canvas always removed on a repaint or is it just easier that way?

Last edited:
Generally, if the paint does not chip or craze or get gouged down to the filler, you can sand it and repaint over the existing finish. It's considered to routine maintenance. However, if the paint starts to craze, as it appears yours has, there is generally no way to save it. Paint that is put on over the cracks will not fill them. Any point with a crack becomes a place where water can intrude. You might try painting it to see what happens...but my experience has been that it will need a canvas.
Cosmetically you may also be disappointed to see that each crack will look like it's been highlighted.
Varnish also is part of routine maintenance and should be done every now and then.
In your shoes, I would sell it as is. It will a very nice project for someone.
Mike

Last edited:
Unlike antique vehicles were originality is highly valued,

The originality of sacrificial elements like tires on antique vehicles tend to be less highly valued. Canvas is considered a sacrificial element on most antique canoes. Good luck with the sale,

Benson

Last edited:
Reactions: MGC
The canoe will be sold at auction on Oct 14th. It's in northwest Pennsylvania, between Meadville and Franklin.

Back