Order of repair

Hoofangler

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I'm rebuilding the ends of my 16' Old Town Guide. I'm going to have to scarf in a new inwale in both sides for the length of 4 ribs, replace the decks, scarf a short section of stem and replace one plank. I was wondering what order to do the repairs. I was thinking 1. Scarf the stem 2. Scarf in the sections of inwale 3. Make new decks and fit 4. Replace the plank. How would you do it?

I'd say you've got it about right. Cut the scarfs to both inwales and the stem, then cut and dry fit everything before gluing. Leave all 3 slightly too long. After the glue has set, do the final fitting, trimming, and sanding. Then the new deck, and the planking. Tom McCloud

A primary rule for rebuilding is DON'T LOSE THE SHAPE. Even rotten inwale tips give an indication where to bring the scarfed stem ends. Leave all the rotten parts in place and replace one thing at a time. The same applies to broken ribs. Multiple broken ribs in a row may hold the shape better than pulling them all out all at once. Replace every other rib.

R.C.

Back