Older virgin canoe, good or bad?

wenwillow

I recently acquired an older Old Town canoe that has never been in the water. Do you think this is a plus or minus? I'm looking to sell and trying to figure out how this would be perceived. Thanks!

An older canoe which has never been used is clearly a plus but this may not translate into a huge price difference for someone who is planning to use the canoe. See the link below for more information about how to value an old canoe. Good luck with the sale,

Benson

I am always offended when someone claims to be selling a canoe that has never been in the water. Either they are not telling the truth, or they have spent a lot of money on a fine boat and never used it. Irritating, whichever it is.

I take no offense initially. Perhaps they know little to nothing about canoes and that is what was told to them.

Worth,

I take no offense that Wenwillow's canoe has never been used. We inherited a sterling silver tea set that dates from abort 1910. It has rarely if ever been used but it is still nice to look at and admire the style, form, craftsmanship and incredible skill that went into making it. It is as nice today as the day it was purchased new and we have no intention of getting rid of it simply because it doesn't get used. The same applies to Wenwillow's canoe. If it was purchased and hung from the great room ceiling simply to look at then that's fine with me. I hope he finds a good home for it and if the new owner continues to hang it from the ceiling doing nothing but looking pretty that's okay.

Jim

Did not come off as judgmental to me and I get your point. Just saying this may be the rare case that it is true or perhaps Wenwillow is relying on others. I will admit I have been misinformed in the past!

In my canoe ventures, I have come across several canoes that were literally unused,
in all cases, they commanded very premium prices when sold.

I think the most relevant issue is what kind of overall condition the canoe is in. A never-in-the-water canoe that has been stored outside for 80 years is not going to be in the same condition as one that has been stored indoors in a climate controlled environment for 80 years.

As a general principle applicable to the sale of just about all older products, a premium is likely to be paid for a product that has never been used (or is unopened, or is in its original packaging) vs. one that has been used. However, as a buyer, I personally would be skeptical of a claim that an old canoe has never been in the water unless there was some really compelling and rock solid historical proof.

When I see an old boat listed as "never having been in the water" my gut feeling is usually "oh yeah, prove it." I would generally feel a lot better about a listing which says something like "the boat is in pristine condition and looks as if it has had little or no use". That way you don't appear to possibly be making unsubstantiated claims and potential buyers can decide for themselves. As a former Old Town dealer, I can tell you that a lot of new or interesting models got carefully test paddled by myself and the staff and then dried off and hung back in the rack. They were still new canoes, and looked perfect, but they had definitely seen a bit of on-water test time.

Back