Old Town Square Stern Front Deck

Everett Oakes

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi,

I've got an Old Town square stern from 1952 that originally had a 4' deck in front. When I got it the deck and its framing had been replaced, the frames with red oak and the deck with a low grade 1/4" plywood covered over in mill felt and screwed down. I was wondering if anyone here had any pictures of an original Old Town deck from this period they'd share. I'm mostly looking for how the framing for it was done and the connection between the decking boards and the gunwales.

Thanks,
Everett

The 1952 catalog pages attached below show how it looked from the top. The images at http://www.wcha.org/forums/index.ph...-info-on-1960-old-town-boat.11798/#post-60727 may be more useful. Good luck,

Benson

PAGE-17.jpg PAGE-19.jpg

I see Benson linked you to photos of my boat. It is a 1951 sport boat but I imagine the decks were very similar on the square stern. I can get some photos from underneath if that would be helpful.
IMG_0522.jpeg IMG_0528.jpeg IMG_0530.jpeg IMG_0531.jpeg

Here are a couple shots from underneath. Looks pretty standard, a short deck and 4 arched deck supports with a central plank let into the 2nd. 3rd. and 4th. arch.
.IMG_0592.JPG IMG_0594.JPG IMG_0595.JPG

Benson and Craig,

Thanks! Those are exactly the shots I was looking for, (beautiful boat by the way). From what I can tell mine had the same style deck. Its hard for me to tell from the pictures but it looks like, and I would assume, that the arched frames and the deck itself are a soft wood. Any idea what they might be?

-Everett

Back