old town number

Andre Cloutier

Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.
Finally i get to do this! Could i please have the info for number 112 795 18, open gunwale, maybe an HW deck.. Not AA, maybe a guide?
thanks!

Last edited:
Serial No. Search

Sorry, Fella from the Great White North. As a Canadian that has a hard time finding OT's, you get one chance to post an Old Town Serial No. on the SERIAL NUMBER Forum and you screw it up and put it on the RESEARCH Forum!! :cool:

How the heck do you think Kathy et al. can find it??

Kidding, I know how long you have been looking for an OT. Congrats. Just don't burn it.

blame it on fumes.. good to see you surface, now if only Georgian Bay would spit up your sweatshirt! Not mine, friend of a friend will be selling it, said i would help her determine what it is so she can figure out how much to ask for it -had to make sure it didnt belong to Elvis first;);)

Sorry it took me so long to reply, but this request was posted under the wrong category. :) When the word "decal" is mispronounced, a domino-effect involving the degenerative processes of the brain in regard to memory and learning takes place, and the individual may have problems posting in the correct category... and may even be seen burning canoes and other such atrocities.

However, Old Town 112795 is an 18' CS (common sense or middle) grade HW (heavy water) canoe completed July-August of 1933, with red Western cedar planking, open spruce gunwales, and oak decks/thwarts/ seat frames. It also has a keel and was painted design #37. It was shipped to Red Hook, NJ, on August 16, 1933. Image of the scan of this record is attached below-- click on it to get a larger image.

This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available athttp://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-the-wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://store.wcha.org/WCHA-New-Membership.html to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Kathy

Attachments

• ot112795.jpg
    ot112795.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 243
  • design37.jpg
    design37.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 219
wow, thanks (i think?) i figure most people hit new posts and scan quickly, but perhaps thats my egocentric thought process kicking in...... sure looks like the boat. Fiberglassed, yes, but overtop of the canvas so nothing to complain about.

Like most people (I think), I also hit "new posts" and don't look at the category...

So that Greek key is still there, under the 'glass?

Yup, this might be the one and only time. Nonetheless, refinishing 18' of CS boat is not in my immediate future, although it would take a sail well......

A minor correction --

I believe the build record says that the canoe was shipped to Red Bank, New Jersey (where a Monmouth Boat Club still exists). I don't believe there is a Red Hook in New Jersey.

There is a Red Hook in New York harbor, which has given its name to the adjoining Brooklyn neighborhood (near to where I live), as well as a town of Red Hook a ways up the Hudson River in New York.

Back