Old Town HW model canoe- why would I want one?

patrick corry

solo canoeist
I have three 15' canoes (and a Bobs Special nearly complete) which I paddle regularly. An Island Falls Willow, a Chestnut Chum, a home-built Jacks Special, and the Bobs. No Old Town canoes. I paddle them regularly, often in the ADKs, always solo. There's a 1943 Old Town HW model near me at a very reasonable price which appears to only need canvas and varnish (I know... always stored inside, no rot, no abuse... haha) I have enjoyed restoring three of the four canoes I already own and would enjoy working on another w/c canoe. So, my question is this: Why would I want an HW model? Is there a particular feature of this design which might appeal to me? I can always give it to my son who has a young family and he's far more capable of carrying a 70+ pound canoe. Is rescuing an old canoe reason enough? Tell me.

Happy New Year all

Based upon the styles of canoes you are currently using, I'd lean more towards an earlier (teens) Ideal or possibly the HW. The older hulls tend to be much better paddling canoes than the later less tender/flatter canoes.
For 1943, is that a steel tacked canoe? Steel tacked canoes are not fun to deal with. I sell them to Howie.;)

The HW model was Old Town's most popular model as indicated the estimates at the link below if that tells you anything. The bottom is more rounded than many of their other models which can make it faster. There is a good chance that one from 1943 will have brass tacks. I've found that a low trailer can be an easy solution to handling a heavy canoe. Good luck,

Benson

Last edited:
For 1943, is that a steel tacked canoe? Steel tacked canoes are not fun to deal with
Oh yeah... I've read about this, but it didn't occur to me. I haven't seen the canoe other than pictures. It's about 1.5 hours away which isn't a big deal to go visit. Thanks for that detail.

With regard to design, yes... I do prefer more round bottomed, lively canoes but if I did donate this to my son a flatter bottom, kid-friendly boat would be OK. I would just have the fun of restoring it!

Back