Old Town HW has outside stems?

Pam Wedd

Wood canvas canoe builder
I have an old Town 18 ft HW sponson in the shop with my repair course this week. It was redone by the father and it has outside stems. The inside stems don't appear to be the right shape for there to be outside stems, and the ends are so totally gone that I can't quite make out how these outside stems would actually have finished up. They just don't seem right so I am thinking they are an add on.
thanks for the help. I don't see many OT's up here.
Pam

Measure the outside edge of the inside stem. If it is narrow (i.e. about 1/4 inch) and only slightly wider than the stem band then the canoe did not have outside stems originally. If it is wide (i.e. about 1/2 inch or more) then the canoe was built for outside stems. The build record should also show this if you want to share the serial number. The pictures below show several Old Town canoes with outside stems of various vintages and models. Let me know if you need more details. Good luck with the restoration,

Benson

IMG_3117.JPG IMG_3119.JPG IMG_3120.JPG IMG_3121.JPG IMG_3127.JPG IMG_3128.JPG IMG_3129.JPG IMG_3130.JPG

Thanks. No there is no question that the inside stem was not meant for an outside stem - narrow, with the planking all rounded in. The owner came up with some pre tearing apart phase pictures and the outside stem wasn't bent well at the top end and a wedge filler piece was added in to make up the gap - then everything was filled/caulked and painted over. Not nice for sure. Plus the outwales were short by a good inch or two - and I don't think from rot.
Good news, I have convinced them to let them go and go back to its original build - no outside stems. One less job to try to fit in this week!!

Back