Old Town Design Number 4

ongie

I have an Old Town Royalex camper I'm planning to sell. It's a design number 4 (Aka Indian pattern) limited edition from 2003. It's never been in the water and the tags are still attached. Anyone have an idea of it's value? Thank you.

The collector value of a Old Town Royalex camper with a design four from 2003 may be limited. A similar good condition Tripper from 1979 in Florida recently sold on eBay for $395 as shown in the first link below. The second link goes to the 2003 catalog with this canoe on the cover. Distance can be a major factor is selling a canoe. Where are you located? I would consider it if you aren't too far away. Good luck with the sale,

Benson

When we bought our 16' OT Royalex (Oltonar) Camper at the end of 2017, we paid $700 for it -- it was in excellent condition, and with Royalex having ceased production only some time befor that, used Royalex Canoes in good codition then seemed in short supply -- we had looked at several that were in very-well-used condition, with asking prices not a whole lot less. Perhaps the market has changed, and perhaps the canoe market in Maine is different than in Florida, but I would think a Royalex Old Town that has never been in the water would sell for something more than $395 in a northrn state, regardless of its design. While some people in Florida certainly canoe (e.g. WCHA president Michael Grace), I suspect that there is a tighter market for a good condition canoe in Wisconsin than in Florida. Some people like canoes wth designs, others prefer plain vanilla one color canoes. On a wood-canvas canoe, a significant premium was charged for the design no. 4 because of the additional work involved in painting it. I have no idea what premium, if any, was charged for the design on a new OT Royalex canoe. You should take a look at prices on ebay (but take asking prices there with a big grain of salt), local classified ads, and the local Craigslist.

Selling in the spring (the beginning of the canoeing season) will likely bring a higher price than now, when a buyer will have only a short time to use it before having to store it for the off-season.

Greg

pick up day.JPG sm.JPG

IMG_2093.JPG sm.JPG

Back