Old Town Canoe that belongs to a friend of mine

brishen870

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Uncle Buds Old Town.jpgUncle Buds Old Town.jpg2.jpgUncle Buds Old Town.jpg3.jpg
Here are a few photos of an old wood and canvas Old Town that belongs to a friend of mine. He is 94 years old and does not have much use for it any more. He has hung it above the bar at his brother country club. He told be he 'crossed much of Canada' in it after returning from WW2. Sounds like it has seen some action. Also looks to need new canvas and maybe some minor repairs. Anyone know the approximate age?

Benson, It is suspended about 12 feet above there bar so I doubt I will have a chance to climb and find a serial number. When I asked how the owner selling he jokingly said he would take $2,000 so it is as good as not for sale to me. Still a nice looking boat however.

It appears to be a 15 foot long fifty pound model and the remains of the decal on the bow deck look like it had a red bar so that probably dates from the mid-1950s at the earliest.

Benson

Benson, what year did the seats change?

My understanding is that this was a result of the introduction of the minimum wage law in 1938 as described at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?891&p=56393#post56393 and my more recent observations of the seats in canoes advertised for sale seems to confirm this. I hope that everyone will feel free to send me the serial numbers and pictures of canoes with original seats from the 1937 to 1950 era which might help to confirm this. Thanks,

Benson

Back