Old north American mystery canoe in Norway

TC Taasen

Hello.
I am new to this forum and this is my first post.
I am starting restoration on this canoe, and I wonder if anybody knows what it is. I couldnt find a serialnumber, and if there was a tag, its gone.
The previous owner told me his grandfather had bought it in Canada around 1900, and taken it with him returning to Norway, where I live.
Any answers is very much appreciated:)

Attachments

• IMG_1059.jpeg
    IMG_1059.jpeg
    204.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1060.jpeg
    IMG_1060.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1061.jpeg
    IMG_1061.jpeg
    404.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1062.jpeg
    IMG_1062.jpeg
    412.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1063.jpeg
    IMG_1063.jpeg
    428.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1064.jpeg
    IMG_1064.jpeg
    365 KB · Views: 78
Thank You. I was also wondering if this could be a Detroit canoe. Or maybe Old Town? The strange thing is I can´t fint holes in the deck for any tag. Also the seats are padded and covered with canvas. It seems like that is original. I am going to strip the varnish. Maybe some clues will show then. Or maybe under the canvas?
It also seems like there are some sailing contrapments?

What I also find strange is that there is only one thwart. No holes for a missing second one. The canoe is 16 feet. Also the outwale, or the top plank, is fastened with wooden dovels. Never seen that before.

The "dowels" in the gunwales are likely plugs covering screws.
I haven't seen "thread spool" attachments on a bow seat like that before and wonder their purpose? They would seem to be intrusive or limiting of paddler position/comfort.

Good luck with the restoration and welcome to the world of wood canvas boats.

The "dowels" in the gunwales are likely plugs covering screws.
I haven't seen "thread spool" attachments on a bow seat like that before and wonder their purpose? They would seem to be intrusive or limiting of paddler position/comfort.
Maybe limiting the bow paddlers position is the point. It can be hard to lean the boat the way you want from the stern, when your bow paddler is up against the rail.

Back