O.t. 28509 16

Ot 28509 - 16?

Dennis,

This may bear re-investigating...#28509 is a 17' "Ideal" in AA grade with mahogany rails, seats, thwarts and decks. It also was built with half ribs, keel, outside stems and sponsons. It was shipped on 12/11/1913 to Maryland.

Thinking maybe the "1" is hiding, I come up with #128509 which is a 17' "HW" in CS (common sense) grade with spruce gunwales and birch seats, thwarts and decks. It was shipped on 8/6/1940 to Mass and was built with a keel and the original color was dark green.

See if either of these build records match with your canoe... and double check both stems, let us know and we will be glad to help further. Maybe also, pictures and measurements would help.

If not already a member, please consider joining the WCHA to help support this and many other services for the preservation of historic canoes.

Regards,

Ric Altfather

Attachments

• 3736.jpg
    3736.jpg
    501.2 KB · Views: 317
  • 128K0544.jpg
    128K0544.jpg
    771.5 KB · Views: 282
What a coincidence! O.T 28509 17

Ric Altfather said:
Dennis,

This may bear re-investigating...#28509 is a 17' "Ideal" in AA grade with mahogany rails, seats, thwarts and decks. It also was built with half ribs, keel, outside stems and sponsons. It was shipped on 12/11/1913 to Maryland.

As luck would have it, I picked up this very same canoe, #28509 17, this afternoon from a gentleman outside of Baltimore. Came home to research the serial # and came upon your post.

The sponsons are gone, she needs new canvas and 4 -5 ribs and new outwales. She did come with mast, booms, sail, leeboards and rudder and I'm not sure what to call it, but a seat back that looks a bit like an Adirondack chair back. The seat back has a brass tag on the back "Made in Old Town Maine expressly for The Hub, Baltimore". The sail might have been a later add on?

Couldn't make out the attached scan and am wondering if I can learn what the original color was.

I joined today and wish I'd known of this group years ago.

Thanks,

Tom Westcott

Last edited by a moderator:
tbwestcott said:
The sail might have been a later add on?

Couldn't make out the attached scan and am wondering if I can learn what the original color was.

The sail is not mentioned in the original record so that is a later add on. The original color was "Br. Red" or Bright Red. Welcome to the WCHA and feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

Back