New Year, New Canoe Mystery

Shaun

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Just home from road trip - family visit and new canoe purchase. Anxious for any help with ID on this one. 16 ft has been rebuilt at least once, seems very old.

Indy 001.jpg

End profiles

Indy 002.jpg

Decks, first one older I believe

stern Indy 003.jpg bow Indy 006.jpg

seat and thwart original hardware (?) Indy 005.jpg

Nicely tapered ribs with outer gunwales attached by screws from inside Indy 007.jpg

Center thwart appears original (mahogany) with very nice lines - unlike other thwarts that appear newer and rougher Indy 009.jpg Indy 010.jpg

No visible numbers stern Indy 012.jpg bow Indy 016.jpg

I thought the experts would jump on this one. Not even a guess? I would like to call it a pre diamond bolt Old Town, but admit to being too uninformed for a real opinion.

The center thwart was held in with wing nuts. Hoping for a serial number shadow when dirt and varnish are cleaned up. It may have fiberglass on the skin. Hate to tear into it before getting an idea of what it might be.

Please...

It certainly looks like a nice one but I am no expert on the canoe builders from your part of the country. This doesn't look like an Old Town or Carleton from before the 1920s to me. Some varnish remover on the inside stems may reveal any hidden serial numbers. If you don't find any numbers then it is probably from one of the smaller builders or home made. Good luck,

Benson

I'd agree with Benson, could be small builder or home built. Never seen outwales screwed from the inside at every rib top.

The gap between the inwale and outwale at the tip of the deck is wide and not tapered as most are.

That's my 2 cents,

Happy New Year
Paul

Thanks Benson and Paul. I'm good with UNSUB (unknown subject). I like the general lines and workmanship in this one. Will let you all know if any further identifiers show up as I work on it. My first inclination is to try to keep as many original components as possible - repair rather than replace - and to replace parts that were unmatched in previous work, ie. thwarts and one deck.

Anyone else want to take a stab at make/builder?

Canoe was found in the Indianapolis area and was still in occasional use (as a canoe not wall hanging).

Back