new member, old boat

Bruce Whittington

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello everyone -

I'm new to the list, from Ladysmith on Vancouver Island. I'm here to learn. I have a 40-year old 17' Chestnut cruiser ("Kronje" model if I remember correctly) which I have had since new. It has been used, and abused some (mostly when it was not being used.) It's essentially sound but now needs new canvas and probably some repairs to the stems and maybe gunwales. I considered finding someone to do it (a matter of time, and I've never done it) but doing a little searching there is a lot of information out there, so I'm researching options. I want to repair/restore it but am also concerned about reducing any value it might have (e.g. by changing fittings, outwales, etc.) So I will be reading a lot here, and probably asking questions. I use other forums like this for other unrelated interests, and am looking forward to tapping this resource.

Regards
Bruce Whittington

Welcome. Might I suggest you try and get a copy of "The Wood Canvas Canoe" it is currently out of print but there are still copies available. It is the go-to book for both building and restoring wood/canvas canoes...

Welcome. Might I suggest you try and get a copy of "The Wood Canvas Canoe" it is currently out of print but there are still copies available. It is the go-to book for both building and restoring wood/canvas canoes...

Thanks for your reply - I have had a copy of that book for several years and in part it is why I may consider doing this work myself. Actually, I noticed last night, after reading some threads about white lead, that even when that book was written the recipes were for lead-free fillers. Never enough books . . . .

Lead free filler is your best bet. The lead can be pretty toxic stuff. here is a recipe I use:
Filler Recipe

Mix Together Thoroughly
32 oz. deck enamel (oil Base)
32 oz. Boiled linseed oil
24 oz. Mineral spirits (paint thinner)
4 oz. Spar Varnish
2 oz. Japan Drier
2 oz. mildewcide (Add X, or twice the recommended proportion for 1 gal . Paint)
Add slowly constantly mixing
6 lbs. 320 grit silica (available from ceramic supplier)

Apply keeping mixed, stir often.

Lead free filler is your best bet. The lead can be pretty toxic stuff. here is a recipe I use:
Filler Recipe

Mix Together Thoroughly
32 oz. deck enamel (oil Base)
32 oz. Boiled linseed oil
24 oz. Mineral spirits (paint thinner)
4 oz. Spar Varnish
2 oz. Japan Drier
2 oz. mildewcide (Add X, or twice the recommended proportion for 1 gal . Paint)
Add slowly constantly mixing
6 lbs. 320 grit silica (available from ceramic supplier)

Apply keeping mixed, stir often.

Thanks for the recipe, which goes into the file - the BIG file - can you tell me how many canoes this will do? I am only doing one and no sense having a lot extra lying around.

Back