Need someone to re-canvas my boat

Larry S

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I was once an active member of the forum, I have not been for many years.

I have 1963 OTCA that I bought new. I wore it out running Class Three water. I have rebuilt it from the keel up - replaced three ribs, backside repair on three ribs and replaced about four feet of planking in the area of the broken ribs. The boat is varnished and ready for canvas. That's the problem.

I am totally intimidated by the challenge of re-canvasing, I once helped a friend and it was a disaster.

I need someone within driving range of the California Central Valley (Lodi) to re-canvas my boat.

Larry S

The list at the link below should help but you may need to expand your definition of 'driving range' a bit. Good luck,

Benson

Thank you for the information. There once was a guy in Reno. I was hoping he would respond.

The closest builder/supplier to me is in McCall, Idaho -that's a 700 mile drive. My best friend lives in McCall. I see a road trip coming up.

Larry S

I was once an active member of the forum, I have not been for many years.

I have 1963 OTCA that I bought new. I wore it out running Class Three water. I have rebuilt it from the keel up - replaced three ribs, backside repair on three ribs and replaced about four feet of planking in the area of the broken ribs. The boat is varnished and ready for canvas. That's the problem.

I am totally intimidated by the challenge of re-canvasing, I once helped a friend and it was a disaster.

I need someone within driving range of the California Central Valley (Lodi) to re-canvas my boat.

Larry S
I’m curious as to what made the previous canvassing experience a “disaster”? Perhaps we can step you through it this time around. It’s not super hard when you talk to people that have been through it.

What Chris said, canvas is the easiest part. And it can be done without a come-a-long. I've been doing it by hand and no problems.

Anyone capable of doing the repairs you have already done should be able to canvas.
Perfection might not happen on the first attempt, but you should be able to do a 100% serviceable job.

There are a couple popular methods for stretching canvas. Upside down on horses or right side up in a canvas envelope. There are several YouTube vids on both methods.
Canvas blankets can be purchased in “canoe quantity” 60” wide x18’ #10 weight at reasonable prices from Jerry’s Artarama in California.

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I have NO desire to do the job myself.

I am in contact with Peter Pride of Pride Canoe and Paddle in McCall, Idaho. To me, it's worth the 700 mile drive to have the job done by a pro. I will keep the board informed of my progress.

Larry S

Back