Need photo of OT HW deck tip

Treewater

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
I am rebuilding the tips of an Old Town HW. Naturally they were rotted from storage on the ground. it is a 1937 model and I need to konw what I am looking for at the very tip. How do the stem and the inwales cometogether with the deck? A side photo would be good as well but I think I can fake that. It is only the top that is essential.
Thanking someone in advance.
Never mind, found it after a long search.

Last edited:
The deck comes to a point, and the gunnels run by the deck on both sides. The gunnles are trimmed to a width that allows the pair to equal the width of the stem on the outside. The "trim job" is along the centerline of the canoe extended out to the center line of the stem. Rge gunnels are secured to the stem via 2 nails, driven through the gunnels and into the tip of the stem. I'm sure someone will be along with a pic, but hopefully this will get you thinking in the right direction.

Thanks Mark, I found an excellent thread showing tip re-build. http://www.canoehullabaloo.com/beeby-canoe/A0002_1929_Old_Town_18_Canoe_96/slideshow_1.html
You answered what the pictures did not, "two nails driven through the gunnels."
I might suggest a tip repair thread could be singled out for easier find. After canvasing, tip repairs seem to be what most old canoes need most and because of the compound angles invovled, it is more intimidating than it should be.

Last edited:
I might suggest a tip repair thread could be singled out for easier find. After canvasing, tip repairs seem to be what most old canoes need most and because of the compound angles invovled, it is more intimidating than it should be.

An article such as you suggest is exactly why the Build and Restore section of the KnowledgeBase (http://forums.wcha.org/forumdisplay.php?70-Build-and-Restore) was created. All it takes is for someone to write it...

Oaky, so I will post my experiences, which are few. I only hope they are easily found, how I am not sure.

Okay, here goes... but I am NOT an expert and I hope those who are will chime in.

Last edited:
Back