Mystery Canoe

Dick Persson

Canoe builder & restorer
Hi all,

Has anyone an idea what brand of wood/canvas canoe the one in attached photos could be? I suspect it to be Canadian built. There are no decals, numbers or markings.

Some key features:
-16 ft in length, 33 inch beam and 12 inch deep.
-Two thwarts.
-Seats with rawhide seat surface.
-No outside keel, but inside tapered keelson joined with stems.
-Small short decks with coaming.
-The gunnel screws are Robertson hidden under wood bungs.
-Seat and thwart fasteners hidden under wood bungs.

Any thoughts?

Dick Persson
Headwater Wooden Boat Shop

Attachments

• mystery-canoe-1.jpg
    mystery-canoe-1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 735
  • mystery-canoe-2.jpg
    mystery-canoe-2.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 747
  • mystery-canoe-3.jpg
    mystery-canoe-3.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 702
  • mystery-canoe-4.jpg
    mystery-canoe-4.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 743
The mystery is solved. The canoe in the previous post was built by Red House Canoe's in Fenwick, Ontario.

Cheers
Dick Persson

ReD House Canoes?

Hey Dick - How about a little info on Red House Canoes, I've never heard of them. When did they manufacture? How many canoes did they build? And how did you come to realize the canoe you had was one of there boats.

Regards David

Hello David,

A friend pointed me in the right direction. Directly below the centre thwart was a barely discernible logo burnt into the keelson (See attached computer generated image below). I am told the same image normally was burnt into the bow deck as well, in this case nothing, I suspect the deck might have been replaced.
I don’t know much about the company yet, I am doing the research at the moment. The company was supposedly started 1964 and closed 2001.

Cheers
Dick Persson
Headwater Wooden Boat Shop

Attachments

• RedHouse-Logo.jpg
    RedHouse-Logo.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 621
Last edited:
That canoe was built by the late James Holman whom I had the privilege to meet many years ago. He caned the seats for my self-designed and built stripper canoe "Sidartha".
HOLMAN, James Edward -
May 14, 1924 - July 1, 2016 - Boyhood dreams of adventure and Alaska and aviation were interrupted by a world war from which he returned never again quite the same man he had been, yet still managed an iconoclastic and celebrated life through his wood working and other skills but especially through the 'Red House Brigade' and the 33 foot Bear Dancer 'North canoe' which brought him into contact with people from all walks of life, all of them bound together by a love of far places and life lead long ago, something reflected also in his years of traditional artisan pursuits. Overheard in a Fenwick restaurant, someone called him the man with the 'golden hands.' He passed away peacefully on Canada Day, Friday, July 1, 2016 in his 93rd year at the Welland Hospital. Beloved husband of the late Marion Bessie Holman (Nee Detlor). Dear father of Dan Holman, Pat Holman-Moreau, Stephen Holman (Pauline) and Jean Henney. Cherished grandfather of Manny Kudlak (Kim), Shelley Brook, Mike Scarlett (Christa) and Veronica Henney (John). Great grandfather of 4 and great, great grandfather of 1. Predeceased by his brother Fred and sister in law Joan and brothers in law Hugh and Harold (survived by their wives Alice and Mary Helen). Repatriated to Canada from Italy where he fought with the 48th Highlander during WW II following an encounter with an incoming mortar, he was a man of great patience and tolerance. A gifted fine antiques restorer and woodworker, canoe builder, luthier and artisan in many mediums he was well regarded among his peers and acolytes and had the distinction of building a pair of his folding canoe chairs for Prince Andrew and new bride Sarah Ferguson for their Canadian Arctic honeymoon trip. Along the way he also penned a book, "D-Day Dodger: The story of a Canadian Foot Soldier in Italy." Jim (Jas, Jasbo) was a son, brother, husband, father, friend, mentor, business person and much, much more. There will be a family only interment but all his friends will be received at a celebration of his life on Monday, July 25, 2016, from 2 - 4 pm, at the Old Town Hall in Pelham. The family also very much wishes to express their thanks to all the care givers and staff who comforted him. As an expression of sympathy, donations may be made to the Salvation Army through the JAMES L. PEDLAR FUNERAL HOME, Fonthill. Online condolences can be shared at www.pedlarfuneralhome.ca13

Back