My Dads Old Canoe

Jeff

This forum is quite a find. I am grateful. I saved my Dads first canoe from near ruin, a beautiful wood and canvas job. It has been in my basement for over 8 years. I pulled the following serial number off the boat 495 35 16 (I'm pretty sure the number was carved into the center keel at the stern - probably should double check). I would be grateful if someone could inform me who built the canoe. Is a build record available? Thank you in advance. Best Regards, Jeff

Last edited:
Hello Jeff,
Because of the location and pattern of the build record, we will assume your canoe is an Old Town. According to the build records, your boat seems to be a 16' HW (Heavy Water) model, build in the CS (Common Sense) Grade with open spruce gunwales, ash decks, thwarts & seats. It was built between May and August 1917 and was painted Dark Green. It was shipped to Point Pleasant NJ in September 1917. The build record is attached.

Of course, this may be another boat or maker- verify the serial number. You may be able to identify your canoe maker from other characteristics described at http://www.dragonflycanoe.com/id/ in the Wood Canoe Identification Guide.

My first restoration was my father's canoe, a 1929 OT HW. It is a rewarding project - especially when you have a personal connection to the boat. I had numerous "conversations" with the old man (dead 30+ years) during the restoration. Very fulfilling.

The WCHA provided substantial funding to have about 210,000 Old Town records scanned for use by historians, restorers etc. The WCHA provides this service to it's members and others. If you are not a member, please join to help support services like these. If you are a current member - THANKS!

Attachments

• 49535.bmp
    397.4 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Spaces

Jeff:

Your canoe may very well be an Old Town, but some Charles River area builders used serial numbers with spaces as you show in your post. The length and possibly beam (35) (big maybe) may be represented. Post some pictures of your canoe if you can, to firm up the builder, if possible. I have a Robertson with a format like "XXX 33 15"

Any decals or other marks?

Check the tops of the thwarts near the rails for a stamp too.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Fitz speaks the truth...

Also check deck shape, overall profile etc. Send a picture or two for all of us to chip in our $.03 worth (inflation, you know!)

Hi Jeff,

This order of numbers, and the numbers themselves, sound like one style of Charles River-area canoe. Fitz and I have a long-running discussion re the makers of these canoes. I have two of them with numbers like this and am confident that they are both from the Charles River area near Boston. However, I have no reason at all to suspect that either is a Robertson (they may be, but I have no way of knowing). In addition to Fitz' canoe and my two, I know of at least two others with this serial number format.

I suspect that your serial numbers may be stamped into the stems AND into the face of two ribs- near the centerline of each rib. True?

I'm traveling now, but when I return home, I will get more info for you, including photos. Please post or email photos of yours for more details.

Michael

MikeCav said:
My first restoration was my father's canoe, a 1929 OT HW. It is a rewarding project - especially when you have a personal connection to the boat. I had numerous "conversations" with the old man (dead 30+ years) during the restoration. Very fulfilling.

Ha! I'm nearing the end of my restoration/repair and I'd been thinking of naming the canoe after my Dad (who yes, I tell I miss him almost every day), "Rollie", and then just over a month or so ago, my significant others mother caught her dress on fire while cooking and died in hospital later that night. So I thought "Okay, Rollie on one side and Byrtha on the other."

I thought of the traditions of boat names and figured maybe two names ain't such a hot idea, so I've settled on "R&B", just like dem ole rhythm and blues!

This is fascinating and fun

Thank you all for the informative replies. You guys are great! This is pretty fun. One of these days I will begin the restoration process. I am happy to have the OT build record. The description matches up to some degree as the canvas was dark green but I am not sure about the other attributes. When I first took in the boat I spoke with a local guy who restores canoes. He was very interested in the boat (wanted to buy it). I gave him the S/N information. He did not think it was an OT. I can't remember his reasons. He suggested it was built by a Charles River boat builder or maybe Waltham Boat and Canoe. My father grew up in Wellesly, MA (near the Charles). He bought the canoe while in his teens, around 1950. He recalls paying about $135. My Dad told me the guy he bought it from as well as the previous owner had the boat on the Charles. The OT build record said the boat was shipped to New Jersey. I am not sure how likely it would be that the boat would find its way to the Charles from New Jersey so my thinking it the boat originated in the Charles River area. I attached a picture from another thread which most resembles the S/N on my boat. I need to study the boat in a bit more detail to see if I can find any other S/N locations. There are no decals or other marks that I have noticed. I will do some more investigating and submit some pictures as soon as I can.....need to recruit a neighbor to help me get it out of the basement so I can have a good look. Thank you all for your contributions to this mystery. I am truly grateful. My very best regards to you all. Jeff

Attachments

• serial_1218_16sm.jpg
    serial_1218_16sm.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 383
Jeff,
That may not be an Old Town, but rather a Charles River area builder as my friends above have indicated. The only match was the SN#, but the gap gave me pause. Post a few pictures of the deck, thwarts and profile - that may help us help you.
Mike

Back