morris paint

steve morang

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Im looking for a little help. Im in the restoration process of a 17 ft. morris and would like to know how much paint it will take to paint the canoe exterior? Also how much clear finish to put 4 or 5 coats on the interior? Thanks for the help.

Steve

1-750 ml can of paint if primed, thinned and not too picky. Most times I end up buying a second.
2-750 ml of varnish

Last edited:
AGree with Zach. But a quart (750) of primer goes under the 750 of paint and all that goes over a gallon of primer.

"a quart (750) of primer goes under the 750 of paint and all that goes over a gallon of primer"... wait, what??? I'm not sure I understand this.

Steve - I agree generally with Zach and Dave on amounts, but it can't hurt to have a little extra to ensure good coverage and for later touch-ups if needed. The reason you're seeing imperial and metric measurements, I believe, is because many brands of finish come in quarts, but Epifanes, for example, comes in 750ml containers. Note that 750ml is only about 80% of a quart. In any case, your best bet is to have at least one can of paint, and 2 cans of varnish (especially if buying 750ml quantities). With a cedar-canvas canoe, you've got filler, then perhaps a glaze and/or primer, then paint, so your main goal for paint is good coverage and a nice smooth coat of paint over those other materials. Paint, wet sand, paint again until you're happy with your finish. On the interior, though, varnish is your full and complete finish. In the old days, manufacturers applied only a couple of coats of varnish, maybe over a coat of shellac, but on restorations I put on at least 5 coats of varnish, often many more.

This is one of those "there are many ways to skin a cat" things.
For a 16 or 17 foot canoe, I would use all of a 750 can of paint and probably a bit more. I thin the first coats depending on the paint and how I am applying it (rolling, brushing, both). If I plan to shellac the bottom, less paint is required.
I almost never use a primer coat under the finish paint. That's not to say I haven't. I have tried using a filling primer. I'm not sure I'm convinced I can get a better paint job using primer than I can without. I probably use more paint because I do not prime.
To each their own. The thing that I find has the most effect on finish is how well I can smooth out the filler. I always caution (school of hard knocks) against getting the filler so smooth that it no longer has tooth.
I'm with Michael on the varnish. I apply 5 or more coats most of the time and as with the paint, starting with a thinned application. A layer of shellac can be used to color the wood and also fill some grain.
On older boats I generally apply a matte finish on the final coat to knock the shine back. It's a personal preference. I don't like a 120-year-old hull to shine like it was just oiled.

Back