More EBay Stuff

Michael Leone

You call that a sail?
Does any one want to ponder a guess on who made the canoe hull on EBay
listing #110590999230
It is the same hull as my sailing canoe that I have posted for I.D. many times
and never realy gotten an answer.
This one has some obvious alterations like the decks with the combing have been added on top of the original decks and the mast thwart is an abomination. but the basic construction of diagonal strips of veneer running
oposite directions and the rail detail is the same.
Also I think there estimate of 1930's is off.

I posted a photo of my hull for reference.

And on another note does any one have an opinion on the Willits sail?
item # 280632744948
Are they asking too much? it looks original.

Attachments

• adk 007.jpg
    adk 007.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 293
The eBay canoe appears to me to be a cold molded plywood type, such as Haskell, Max Andersson and Plycraft... but I think you've gotten that answer before. Did you see the question at the bottom of the listing, from someone who says his similar canoe came from Norway? I read somewhere here in the Forums that Sears imported molded canoes from Sweden (perhaps Norway?) in the 1960s.

Kathy

I agree with Kathy that Michael's and the eBay canoe both appear to be the usual weldwood style that was available from a number of different sources in North America.

Struer in Denmark once made a plywood touring canoe as shown at http://www.struerkajak.com/Internat...tinued-models/Complete-list/STRUER-CANOE.aspx along with many racing canoes and kayaks in this style as shown at http://www.struerkajak.com/International-site/The-kayaks/Discontinued-models/Complete-list.aspx over the last sixty years.

Benson

Last edited:
Hi Kathy

Yes I know all those names have been sugested before, I guess what I
have been hoping for is for some one to come out and say for sure you have a 19 such and such bla bla bla.

I guess it's kind of funny how we put so much wieght on a name or I.D.
Being an avid birder I know first hand the desire to put a name on it, but it does not lessen the joy my sailing canoe brings me or watching any bird no
matter how common.

Mike

This is a Sears sold canoe from the 60's I even sent this eBay lister a picture from the Sears Catalog, but he did not mention it in his listing.

Perhaps he doesn't want people to know the true identity.

I have posted this picture on a number of occasions.

It's nice to have this site as a resource.

Later,

Paul

Attachments

• Sears Molded plywood.jpg
    Sears Molded plywood.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 211
  • MVC-013F.JPG
    MVC-013F.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 239
  • MVC-002F.JPG
    MVC-002F.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 248
I forgot to post the picture of the decks.

Mike, are you sure your decks are the same? It's difficult to see in the picture you posted.

Paul

Attachments

• MVC-005F.JPG
    MVC-005F.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 242
eBay listing of Willits sail rig.

Yes it is original, it was once owned by Peter Mueller and is in very nice shape.

The question of price has more to do with availability. Where can find another one?

Everything the Willits brothers did was of the highest quality and the sail rig is no exception.

Keep in mind the sailing Willits also had the keel fin, rudder, and poles to push and pull the rudder into position. See the attached pic of Peter's Willits with complete sail rig as displayed at the Chicago boat show 1/2010. A point of clarification, the sail and mast in this picture is not the same one for sale on eBay.

Paul

Attachments

• willits sail rig.jpg
    willits sail rig.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Hi Paul

You are right, my decks are diferent, although they are made of narrow strips
of wood glued up mine is set between the rails not on top.
In the EBay canoe the decks looked like an afterthought just nailed onto
the rails but they look the same in your photo.

Mike

Attachments

• canoe pics 004.jpg
    canoe pics 004.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 221
Back