Ebay Selling Advice (for whatever it is worth)

Kathryn Klos

squirrel whisperer
In selling stuff on eBay, I have found it's better to begin at a price that is less than I think my item is "worth", but at a number I could handle should the thing actually sell for that price. I don't put a reserve on the item because this discourages bidders and invites a lot of emails asking about the reserve price. Why pay extra to place a reserve? Why not begin the auction at a price you could live with?

The fact is, you may suck in more "watchers" if your item is priced below what everyone thinks it is "worth". It is rare that anyone actually bids until the final day of an auction, but those hungry watchers have been salivating for several days and are primed to jump in... perhaps primed to duke-it-out at the end, if they believe they might score a deal.

It saddens me to see an over-priced canoe on eBay, because that's just a donation to eBay and isn't always a lesson for the seller (who may relist and relist at the same price)... and another canoe doesn't get into the hands of someone who might get it back onto the water.

"Buy It Now or Best Offer" seems a good way to go for a high-ticket item... or simply using craigslist or similar selling-method. Those looking for boats watch multiple selling arenas. We sold our skiff via "Buy It Now". Actually, I'd taken the skiff-listing off eBay, and a "watcher" contacted us and made a deal. So, you never know...

The classifieds on this website are The Best, however... all the canoes Denis and I sold are in good homes, and that feels right.

Kathy

Back