Meranti (Philippine mahogany)

martin ferwerda

W/C Canoes
I am in search of outwale stock again, and was wondering if anybody has any comments on Meranti (Philippine mahogany), as I do not know much about it. The canoes have a gradual sheer line, so bending should not be a big deal, any comments, or criticisms on the use of Philippine mahogany as gunwale stock? Also, if anybody has sources for 18 long hardwoods suitable for gunwales in the Portland, Oregon, area, would appreciate it. Thanks.

Martin,

I've used Phil Mah for rails on 2 strippers and one W/C so far, as the local hardwood lumber yard carries it, often to 18+ ft. (They carry H but usually not in long enough lengths.)

Becareful, some pieces can be very soft, other pieces will be hard, though not as hard as Hunduras (sp). On the w/c, a Thompson Indian, I had to steam the ends to bend them and even then they got compression cracks.

Dan

Thanks Dan for that warning!.....I went to a local lumber yard and bought an 18' length of 5/4 X 6" mahogany decking. I am planning on using 2 on a Chestnut I will recover in the spring and two on a White Boy Scout that I will do also...The 5th strip? who knows where that will end up?:)

Thanks for the info Dan. Also, do you remember how long you steamed the philippine mahogany for the Thompson? I know a builder that insists steaming "mahogany" (do not know the type) gunwales anything longer than 20 minutes will cause problems. I do know that 20 minutes is just about right for the sheer line of a Thompson using Honduran mahogany.

No, not really, I probably would have tried to be close to the 1 hour per inch guideline, and it was 7/8 stock, so likely had it in for 30-40 minutes.

If I remember corrently, (it was a few years ago) I had to resteam it a couple times to get the bend "right". And I put some epoxy resin in the crack after it dried, just for good measure.

These pieces were fairly soft, I'm not sure what would happen with harder stock.

Dan

The Philippine mahogany is not really a "mahogany" at all. Its color is very close to most mahogany. I belive it got its name due more to the marketing needs than the type of wood it is. The Phillippine wood does not have the strength and duability as the true mahoganys. BUT it is lighter, softer, generally has a straighter grain, bends about the same and has more than enough strenth for a canoe rail.
For 1" thick mahogany, I would not steam it less than 1-1/4hr

Back