Making my first Jamestown Purchase - Checking the list

McKinley

Dinghyist
So there is free shipping at JD so I am making a big purchase. I want to get as much as I can but since this is my first project I don't know everything I need. So far in my cart I have:
(project is an old town dinghy 10'2")
Smiths CPES Epoxy (do I need this?)
Snappy Teak-Nu
1pt white Dolphinite bedding compound
2 qts Epifanes wood finish gloss
Varnish kit (includes foam brushes, thinner, buckets, strainers, etc)

What obvious things am I missing? I have the stripper.

I also know I will need some hardware at some point to attach the gunwales, and keel, stem, etc. I was planning on using what I removed, but that may not be a good idea. Should I get brass screws and finish washers? What are the right planking nails, and canvas tacks to use?

As always, i appreciate all the help and guidance.

2 cents

My 2 cents.

I don't really know the condition of your boat, but I doubt you will need the CPES. I bought some a long time ago and it just sits on the shelf.

I haven't used that wood finish gloss. It may be fine, but I might go for traditional varnish and the associated scuffing between coats.

I would use all the old wood screws etc, unless they are damaged. The quality of those screws will far exceed anything you can buy today.

You will probably need some sandpaper at some point.

When you go to canvas, if you use staples, you will need 9/16's and 3/8's stainless or monel staples.

Jamestown doesn't sell the canoe tacks. Pull a tack on your boat and measure it. You can get tacks from some of the pros here on this site.

You might need paint, and primer if you use primer.

Last edited:
Thanks Fitz. I was thinking about using the CPES because the cedar is very dry and seems to be a little brittle. Is there a better alternative for the interior after it is stripped and cleaned and before varnish? I can use most of the old screws, however there were many missing though so I wanted to make it look uniform (at least on the gunwale). I will measure the tacks today and put out the request. Thanks again!

Thanks Fitz. I was thinking about using the CPES because the cedar is very dry and seems to be a little brittle. Is there a better alternative for the interior after it is stripped and cleaned and before varnish? I can use most of the old screws, however there were many missing though so I wanted to make it look uniform (at least on the gunwale). I will measure the tacks today and put out the request. Thanks again!

To clarify ... I wanted the CPES to fix some weak tops to some ribs ... not for the whole boat. Thanks.

Turps/boiled linseed oil

You can put a mixture of turpentine or mineral spirits and boiled linseed oil on the hull exterior (not on the interior), which may help give some life back to the wood. Do this after you varnish the interior. Be sure to wipe off any of the mixture that seeps through the planking onto your varnish - it dries and is hard to get off. DAMHIKT:(

I'm not all that sure how effective it is. I haven't really noticed a difference between hulls I have oiled and hulls with no oil.

Back