looking for info on a wide double lobed canoe?

econut

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Greetings.

I am looking for a particular canoe design. I came across this canoe a couple years ago and it's been very difficult to find and or identify.

The museum no longer has the canoe. Therefore i have to research other sources.

The particular canoe was a voyager style canoe made of cedar. However it was wider with near parallel sides, a double lobed sides, and a deep keel. It was designed to be shorter and haul as much as a longer canoe.

It is rather difficult to imagine . I've included a couple drawings/photos of what the canoe generally looked like.

canot1.jpg

Pasqua16Canoe.jpg

http://www.northwoodscanoe.com/index.php/component/content/article/76

The photo is of a Pasqua 16' canoe.

The canoe i am looking for is wider & taller than the pasqua.

The canoe i am looking for also looks similar to a viking canoe with it's parallel sides.

I'm looking for a name, or photos, or schematics, e.t.c

Thanks.

Last edited:
It sounds like it was a sponson canoe. I can't think of another wood canoe that would look remotely like what you described.

He also sent the images attached below in a message to the webmaster. I've seen sit on top kayaks with a hull like his "double lobed sides, and a deep keel" but never a canoe.

Benson

Attachments

• Eureka first-paddle-001.jpg
    Eureka first-paddle-001.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 274
  • canot1.jpg
    canot1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 239
@: Kathryn Klos.

Thanks for the video.

Unfortunately no. It is not a canoe with sponsons.

Thanks Mark Adams, Benson Gray.

I will keep looking.

The closest design is that of the Pasqua.

Imagine the Pasqua with the keel more pronounced and in the water, and the lobes or sides wider and taller.

I know it 's not easy to find. There is a documentory on tv about Canadian marine history, that shows this canoe. Finding the Documentory is just as difficult , and no help from the national canoe history museum either.

Thanks for your time.

Hi.

Unfortunately no. It is not on the NFB of Canada web site.

I believe the name of the Doc was " life of the voyageur " . Hosted by a guy with brownish blonde hair. Fairly recent doc produced between 2007 and 2010.

It was a good documentary, with accurate info you didn't see on most other voyageurs docs.

I have seen my canoe in the voyageurs historical re-enactment that takes place between Ottawa (Ottawa river->lake Temiskaming-> Long lake. Then hops over to Lake Kanasuta, Duparquet and finally lake Abitibi.

Therefore i know it exists. I've seen it twice.

Sounds like it's become one of those burrs under your saddle (couldn't think of an appropriate canoe metaphor) that won't go away until you solve the puzzle.

Since you've seen it twice, you are likely to see it again. Make sure you always have a camera with you, even if it is just to take a screen shot.

@nutkin

Well as far as the burr in the saddle . It's yes and no.

I've just about finished the design in CAD software. I decided over a year ago to start designing it myself, as i was getting no where with so called museum services.

It will probably be the last canoe i make, and i want something functional, tough, durable, stable, and light.

All the wood is ready, even have a good supply of natural sap for that rustic look.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back