Looking for advice post stripper

Paul Nelson

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I am almost done with the second pass of stripper on my Peterborough Falcon. All the varnish is gone, but there is extensive staining left behind. I am wondering if there is a relatively easy way to reduce or eliminate the stains like oxalic acid, Clorox, or something else that will help. I'm not trying to make it perfect. It has had a long and rugged life. Should I just sand, varnish, and call it patina. What do you restorers do? You can see from the photos that it is way better above the seat cleat than below it. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Granny1.jpg
Granny2.jpg
Granny1.jpg Granny1.jpg Granny2.jpg Granny1.jpg Granny2.jpg

Try Te-Ka or Snappy Teak Nu (yes, strange names). These two part kits do a wonderful job. Simply follow instructions and don’t scrub the wood too hard. You apply part 1, after which they say to scrub it, but use a light touch to avoid damaging the wood. Part 1 turns the wood very dark, but don’t be alarmed. Part 2 lightens it back up dramatically.

These kits are called “wood bleach”, but they are an acid/base pair rather than household bleach which is sodium hypochlorite. They are much more expensive than household bleach, but they do a great job of cleaning the wood while leaving a nice patina. Household bleach can really wash out the color of the wood.

These products can be found at any good marine dealer.

Thanks for the advice guys. Used to use two part cleaner on my sailboat years ago. Didn't even think of it. Will give it a try!

Back