Looking for a pack basket. Where to start?

Doublegun

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I have long admired the old pack/trappers basket and have decided I could use one. Questions are 1.) where to find a quality "vintage" basket; and/or 2.) are there any "new" ones being made to day that are true to the originals and will last a lifetime?

Thanks

Hello,

I have several vintage ones available.

www.RossBros.com

Robert P. Ross
Ross Bros.
PO Box 60277
Florence, MA 01062

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    505 KB · Views: 722
  • Picture 025.jpg
    Picture 025.jpg
    471 KB · Views: 881
  • Picture 027.jpg
    Picture 027.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 745
try

Wendy Kimple makes awesome baskets. Maybe she'll chime in but I think she goes by woodencanoenut, or something like that.

Hello, Thanks for asking. The price on the first one is $125.00 (shaved ash) left to right the price on the second two is $350. (Pounded Ash) Maine Indian made. If you would like more photos or information please write:

Robert@RossBros.com

www.RossBros.com

Robert P. Ross
Ross Bros.
PO Box 60277
Florence, MA 01062

Attachments

• Picture 035.jpg
    Picture 035.jpg
    517.3 KB · Views: 845
packbaskets

I will be at the Assembly with pack baskets to sell. Mine are made out of Reed a form of Bamboo. Mine are cheaper than Ash. Ash splints require lots of work to retrieve. I also have vintage pack basket insturctions from the Boy Scouts. It is all in what you want for you canoe. Thanks
Wendy and John Kimpel
woodcanoenut

Here are a few more snaps of the first one as you requested.

Thanks,

Robert P. Ross
Ross Bros.
PO Box 60277
Florence, MA 01062
www.RossBros.com

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 503
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 616
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 527
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    504.2 KB · Views: 630
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    524.3 KB · Views: 560
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    517.3 KB · Views: 526
Last edited:
Question: some are made of ash others of reeds. Which is preferable? Seems like the ash would be most durable. Thanks.

Basket material

Question: some are made of ash others of reeds. Which is preferable? Seems like the ash would be most durable. Thanks.

Hand pounded ash is the best. It is very durable and very expensive. Some ash is machine milled going against the grain. This weakens the ash. Reed is a form of bamboo--an inexpensive substitute. Will work maybe not as long as ash.

I have one of each.
The reed one I made myself, at a workshop at the Canadian Canoe Museum.
The ash one came from Wendy Kimpel.

I noticed there were ash packbaskets for sale at the store at Paul Smith's (coindicentally, called "The Pack Basket") last year. Looked well done, for what I thought was a very reasonable price $110.

But a vintage one would be nice too, especially if you have a vintage canoe to cart it around in.

And on it goes,..

Thanks for the advice and direction. Just ordered a basket from Moose River Handcrafts. I like the look of their baskets, the way they make them and their philosophy. Now, I just need to find a neat old wc canoe to carry the basket.

Cheers

I'm curious. And not familiar with the phrase "hand-pounded" ash. What does it mean and what is the process? Why is it preferable?
Thanks,
Wally Hauck

I'm curious. And not familiar with the phrase "hand-pounded" ash. What does it mean and what is the process? Why is it preferable?
Thanks,
Wally Hauck

Pounding ash is a technique for separating splints for weaving.

The Amish in Northern NY make and sell ash splint baskets. They are pretty affordable and most are well made. I have used one (hard) for about 40 years. It's still holding together pretty well except for damage from some pretty hard falls while skiing and snowshoeing.
If you come up on route 11 you will see ash products for sale on the roadside. Look for the real ash baskets, not the tourist products that are also sold. You can have baskets custom made.

Where on Route 11? We are coming from Indiana will we pass the basket makers? I'm curious because mine are made with reed. I will be at the Assembly selling different sizes and styles.
Wendy

Where on Route 11? We are coming from Indiana will we pass the basket makers? I'm curious because mine are made with reed. I will be at the Assembly selling different sizes and styles.
Wendy

I have seen them at the corner of Rt 11 and 68 in Canton NY but that might be a little off course for you coming over on Rt 3. If you leave on Sunday of course they will not be there then.

Edit there are two intersections. The one I speak of is after you go east through "downtown"

Back