Little help to ID an unusual (to me) canvas canoe...thanks!

sportsmit

Hi, I apologize in advance if this is not the right site or forum for this post. Struggling to assemble an old canoe from my parents attic and looking for any info about it. This is a pure canvas, (not a canvas over wood) collapsible canoe which could be transported in the trunk of a car if necessary. It has removable round metal ribs and short lengthwise metal support pieces which fit inside canvas sleeves sewn to the inside of the canvas skin allowing it to be folding into thirds. There is a wood floor which extends the length of the canoe and has hinges allowing it to first fold in half lenghtwise, then each pointed end swings inside of the center piece so it too is a third of the length for easy transport. Wood seat is attached to metal hooks which just allow it to hang on the sides of the canoe. I can find no markings or manufacturers name on it. It is about 11' in length. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Possibly a "Linkanoe?" Do a search on these forums & you'll find lots of links. Posting pictures always helps to ID things, and besides that, we just like pictures of canoes... and paddles... and wanigans... and pack baskets... and....

Cool find!

Could be one of a number of manufacturers. Folding canvas canoes were very popular in the 1880s right into the first half of the twentieth century. These were built by Acme, King Douglas, Osgood, Graves and more.

Photos would help with identification.

Pauls suggested Linkanoe - it is definitely not one of those, as they were 16' long and are not folding but rather have a sectional hull covered with canvas

Dan.

Photo

canoe.jpg

Thanks for the timely responses. I do not have good photos of the item and it is not at my home, but at my parents estate which I am cleaning out. I've tried to attach the only photo I have -the quick "Honey, look what I just pulled out of the attic" cell phone photo I sent to my wife. Anyhow, it does not include the wood pieces - the floor and two seats, the wide one having oar locks attached. It is not fully assembled either, but you can see the canvas sleeves which are sewn in lengthwise to house the thin metal support rods and the metal ribs which are attached to a thick strip of material which seems to serve two purposes - to keep the ribs in easy order by size and once the rib ends are inserted in their brackets you pull the ends of the strip of material stretching the canvas and settings the ribs in place. Hopefully the attachment was successful.

Disclaimer - I do not know the proper terminology, thanks for bearing with me!

Back