Lantern Hangers?

wanderlustjake

Beginner Canoeist
Curious if anyone could please share pictures of lanterns and their hangers? I've seen a couple pictures over the years and would like to get an idea of size etc.

Thank you

Lantern Hangers

I'll have to do this in 2 posts.

Attached are 3 photos. One before and 2 after restoration.

Attachments

• DSC05208.jpg
    DSC05208.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 560
  • DSC06451.jpg
    DSC06451.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 559
  • DSC06458.jpg
    DSC06458.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 690
Lantern hangers

image.jpg

Here are the dimensions of our hanger...hope this helps. The badge and painter ring were found on eBay.

Last edited:
Fred,

Thank you for sharing, that definitely helps. That is a beautiful restoration. I believe we saw pics of your canoe a couple years ago, which led us to asking about the lanterns now.

As a lamp collector I find that fascinating. Candles I presume. I do believe I've seen some carbide lights on old canoe advertising.

Yes, and those carbide search lights are a far cry from the simple candle (?) holders which are just running lights. BTW, that's an awful lot of gear in those boats. Competing with the cruise line?

Love the old pictures Benson.

Great to see people didn't believe in travelling light in those days :)

Alick

Fred, Can you tell me about the finishes you use on that beautiful boat? That's the prettiest thing I've ever seen! Is it spar varnish on the gunnels and decks?

We found these lamps at a flea market. They were made in the 1930’s by the renowned Chase Brass & Copper Company They are 5-1/2” tall on a 3-1/4 “pedestal. I made the brass stands.

Attachments

• 03F1AF96-C7C7-4DEF-8D7A-9292C7A83D67.jpeg
    03F1AF96-C7C7-4DEF-8D7A-9292C7A83D67.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 131
Sorry, I don’t have any pictures of them lit. They aren’t very bright. Yes, the flag sockets are from the WCHA store. The hole diameter is 3/8” as is the brass tubing. “Full Disclosure” I’m sure of these dimensions because I know the guy who makes them for the store.

Back