Kennebec OG Special

Jan Bloom

LOVES Wooden Canoes
S# 103048, Kennebec OG Special. Can anyone out there provide a date? Belongs to the family of a friend of mine.

The Kennebec canoe with serial number 103048 is a 16 foot long Kineo Special model shown on pages 264 and 265 of volume four in the Kennebec ledgers. It was planked by Morgan on March 21st, 1931. The canvas covering and first filler coat were applied by F. Thib. on April 4th, 1931. C. Thib. added the second filler coat on June 6th, 1931. Brooks added the rails on the June 27th, 1931. The "F 22" (Function number 22 or the keel?) was completed by Thib. on July 11th, 1931. The "F24" (Function number 24 or the thwarts?), "F25" (Function number 25 or the seats?), and "F28" (Function number 28 or the painting?) were completed by Leonard on the same day. The original color was red. It was packed by Orchard on July 11th, 1931 and shipped on July 10th, 1931 to location 31-546. This location is probably an order number but we don't currently have enough information to identify it. (It also seems unusual that all of the shipped dates on this page precede the final completion and packed dates.)

The scans of these build records can be found by following the links at the attached thumbnail images below. These original Kennebec records are reproduced through the courtesy of the Maine State Museum.

The microfilms and scans of these records were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) as you probably know well. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://store.wcha.org/WCHA-New-Membership.html to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match the canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

Attachments

• k-103048-a.gif
    k-103048-a.gif
    291.5 KB · Views: 183
  • k-103048-b.gif
    k-103048-b.gif
    277.2 KB · Views: 206
The metal tag on the canoe states Kennebec O.G. Special. Is there any difference between an O>D Special and a Kineo Special?

The 1931 catalog page below describes this canoe as a "Kineo Special" with open gunwales so I suspect that is the source of the "O. G." as Kathy mentioned. I don't recall seeing a reference to an "O. G. Special" in any of the Kennebec catalogs. It would be interesting to see a picture of the tag if you can attach one.

Benson

Attachments

• PAGE-14.GIF
    PAGE-14.GIF
    440.4 KB · Views: 182
Benson,I would post a pic of the tag but I do not remember how to and I cannot find directions on posting pics anywhere. Someone even hid those directions somewhere.
Kathy, the canoe is still in the possession of the original family. It is not for sale and I do not know where it is except that it is still being used and cared for. Also it is not very close to either you or me.

Back