Kennebec Maine Guide

woodfyr

Restorer
kenplate01.jpgkenmaineguide01.jpgJust acquired a Kennebec 18 1/2' Maine Guide with closed gunwales. Serial number 1138.
Looks like a great restoration project. Wondering what year built?

Last edited:
Kennebec issued this serial number three times but two of them went on boats. The Kennebec canoe with number 1138 is an 18.5 foot long Kennnebec guide model with closed spruce rails, oak stems, and western red cedar planking as shown on pages 8 and 9 of volume one in the Kennebec ledgers. It was planked by Farrell on October 15th, 1910. The decks were 15-M (15 inch maple?) and the canvas was 54-8 (54 inch wide number 8?). The canvas covering and first filler coat were applied by Knowlton(?) on October 29th, 1910. He applied the second filler coat on January or June 14th. The braces (thwarts) and seats were M (maple?). It was railed by Knowlton(?) on July 15th. The original color was gray which was applied by Swett (?) on July 22nd. It shipped to Jordan M. on June, 12th and the 13 in the next column many indicate that the year was 1913.

The scans of these build records can be found by following the links at the attached thumbnail images below. These original Kennebec records are reproduced through the courtesy of the Maine State Museum.

The microfilms and scans of these records were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA). I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-the-wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://store.wcha.org/WCHA-New-Membership.html to join.

Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions. Good luck with the restoration,

Benson

Attachments

• K-1138-a.gif
    K-1138-a.gif
    689.8 KB · Views: 168
  • K-1138-b.gif
    K-1138-b.gif
    632.9 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Benson,

Thank you for the info and the thumbs. The canoe matches the data provided. I would only question the 1921 date. In viewing the thumbs, I get from 15 Oct. 1910 to June 12, 1913. In researching other canoes for restoration the long storage times between various steps was typical.

Maybe we can have 1138 ready for its 100th anniversary.

Thank again

Last edited:
Back