kennebec canoe serial number 19892-any info on this?

woolmanj

I am thinking of buying a Kennebec Canoe serial number 19892. Does anybody have any information about this canoe?

It is painted green now. Would it originally have been painted red?

I am not much of a boater, but I just bought a lake house and the previous owner would like to sell me the canoe. How much maintenance would be involved if I only use it a few times each summer? I am on Lake Buel in Monterey, Massachusetts.

It is in pretty good shape. How much might I pay for this canoe?

The records for Kennebec do exist but are more complex to look up than Old Town's, which only require a number. I am in the process of learning the Kennebec system. There are a couple others who may find the number for you before I can, but for me it would help having more information about the canoe, such as its length. A picture would be a great help and may also help with replies to some of your other questions.

The original build information may state the original color, but the canoe could have (probably was) repainted and or recanvassed over the years and the green that it is now is probably not the original paint... although there are canoes that seem to have entered time capsules or time machines and have original paint after decades. We tell folks to paint the canoe whatever color they like, because the original owner had that option. Green was the most common color for canoes, and red was another standard color with many companies.

Some wood-canvas canoes don't get much maintenance at all. If you only use it a few times a year, don't run over any rocks and keep it in a boathouse that doesn't catch fire or have a tree drop on it, make sure you dump any water out and don't leave it upside down on the grass with the ends crunched down into the dirt, you may not have to do anything at all, depending on the age of the canvas.

Here is a discussion of "value". And here's where pictures might help. Well, actually we just like seeing pictures of what other folks have.

http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?57-How-much-is-my-old-wooden-canoe-worth

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for the response and information. The canoe is in my garage about 2 hours away. I didn't think to measure it. I will be up there this weekend and will try to get some pictures and the length. Glad to hear that it may not require much maintenance if we are careful with it. Thanks again, Peter

The records for Kennebec do exist but are more complex to look up than Old Town's, which only require a number. I am in the process of learning the Kennebec system. There are a couple others who may find the number for you before I can, but for me it would help having more information about the canoe, such as its length. A picture would be a great help and may also help with replies to some of your other questions.

The original build information may state the original color, but the canoe could have (probably was) repainted and or recanvassed over the years and the green that it is now is probably not the original paint... although there are canoes that seem to have entered time capsules or time machines and have original paint after decades. We tell folks to paint the canoe whatever color they like, because the original owner had that option. Green was the most common color for canoes, and red was another standard color with many companies.

Some wood-canvas canoes don't get much maintenance at all. If you only use it a few times a year, don't run over any rocks and keep it in a boathouse that doesn't catch fire or have a tree drop on it, make sure you dump any water out and don't leave it upside down on the grass with the ends crunched down into the dirt, you may not have to do anything at all, depending on the age of the canvas.

Here is a discussion of "value". And here's where pictures might help. Well, actually we just like seeing pictures of what other folks have.

http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?57-How-much-is-my-old-wooden-canoe-worth

Kathy

I'm sorry for responding so late but this has been a busy summer so far. It appears that Kennebec did not record any information for serial number 19892 although it did for 19891 and 19893 as shown below. These are 17 foot long Kennebec models shown on pages 120 and 121 of volume four in the Kennebec ledgers. They shipped in 1929.

The scans of these build records can be found by following the links at the attached thumbnail images below. These original Kennebec records are reproduced through the courtesy of the Maine State Museum.

The microfilms and scans of these records were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA). I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/join.php to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer. Can you attach some pictures? Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions and I will try to respond more quickly.

Benson

Attachments

• k-19893-b.gif
    k-19893-b.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 212
  • k-19893.gif
    k-19893.gif
    1.3 MB · Views: 188
Kennebec canoe length is 18.5 feet

Hi Benson,

Thanks for the information. The canoe is in my very old, cluttered and poorly lit garage in the Berhkshires about 2 hours from where I live. It is upside down on two sawhorses and taking pictures of the canoe in the position and location it is in is difficult.

I just had carpal tunnel surgery and won't be lifting any canoes for awhile.

I did get in there with my son and we measured the length-222 inches or 18.5 feet. Of course, this is not exact as we were using a long tape measure and there is no straight line to measure along.

I guess this doesn't help particularly, but I do hope to get pictures to you next time I have two pairs of strong hands near my garage in the Berkshires.

Thanks once again,

Peter

Actually, the length may help solve the mystery. There is a canoe at the bottom of the pages 140 and 141 in volume four of the Kennebec ledgers that may be yours. This is an 18 foot long Kennebec model type A with outside stems and a serial number that could be 19892. It was planked by Lantigue on October 5th, 1928. The sponsons were put on by F. Roy on October 20th, 1928. The canvas covering and the first filler coat were applied by Saucier on the same day. Saucier also applied the second filler coat and King railed it but the dates are not clear. The "F 22" (Function number 22 or the keel?), was completed by J. Thib. but the date is also not clear. The original color may have been green. The format indicates that it was shipped to one location in 1929, returned, and then shipped to another location. These locations are identified by numbers that were probably order numbers but we don't currently have enough information to identify them.

The scans of these build records can be found by following the links at the attached thumbnail images below. These original Kennebec records are reproduced through the courtesy of the Maine State Museum.

The microfilms and scans of these records were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) as you probably know well. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/join.php to join.

More information about the Kennebec models can be found in the Kennebec catalogs contained on the Historic Wood Canoe and Boat Company Catalog Collection CD available from http://store.wcha.org/product.php?productid=17590&cat=248&page=2 and http://www.dragonflycanoe.com/cdrom.htm on the web.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

Attachments

• k-19892-b.gif
    k-19892-b.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 203
  • k-19892-a.gif
    k-19892-a.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Is this a Katahdin type A?

Hi Benson,

Thanks for the additional information. If I am correct that the Katahdin A is what the records mean when they say type A, then I guess you may have solved the canoe identity issue. Next time I am up in the Berkshires, I will crawl under the canoe and snap some pictures. Poor as they may be, you will probably be able to tell even from that angle which canoe it is. My memory of the canoe is that it shares some similarities with a red restored Katahdin A from a YouTube video, although the one I am asking you about is presently green.

If you have some advice as to how to measure a canoe, from which point to which point and whether you follow the curve of the canoe or not, that would be helpful.

Thanks once again for the information.

Peter

Hi Benson,

Thanks for the information. The canoe is in my very old, cluttered and poorly lit garage in the Berhkshires about 2 hours from where I live. It is upside down on two sawhorses and taking pictures of the canoe in the position and location it is in is difficult.

I just had carpal tunnel surgery and won't be lifting any canoes for awhile.

I did get in there with my son and we measured the length-222 inches or 18.5 feet. Of course, this is not exact as we were using a long tape measure and there is no straight line to measure along.

I guess this doesn't help particularly, but I do hope to get pictures to you next time I have two pairs of strong hands near my garage in the Berkshires.

Thanks once again,

Peter

If I am correct that the Katahdin A is what the records mean when they say type A, ...

No, the Kennebec Katahdin model is shown at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?3986 and these are not the same as the standard Kennebec models. The most obvious difference is the extended 'torpedo' stem on the Katahdin model.

The Kennebec type letters are similar to the Old Town grades and both are independent of the model. A Kennebec type B had lots of mahogany and a type A did not. The pictures at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?7507 show a standard Kennebec model like yours with the type B trim.

The length of a canoe for most manufacturers is measured as the shortest distance between the two extreme end points. This usually requires a long tape measure and two plumb lines to determine accurately. These distances are also frequently several inches off. Please reply here if this is still not clear.

Benson

Last edited:
Back