Kennebec 1509

This canoe is a bit of a mystery. The Kennebec serial number 1509 was assigned to a Maine Coast lapstrake boat in 1920. Kennebec frequently assigned serial numbers in the 100,000 range to Kineo Special models and then omitted the first few digits when they stamped the numbers on the canoe or metal tag. Their serial number 101509 would fit this pattern and the canoe looks like it could be a Kineo Special. However, I asked the seller to confirm the length and told him about the build record information. He responded saying "Believe it or not I know how to measure a canoe. The actual measurement is 16'11". personally I call that 17 feet If you prefer to call it 16 feel free."

The 16 foot Kennebec "Kineo Special" canoe with number 101509 is shown on page 252 of volume four in the Kennebec ledgers. It was planked by Lantigne on March 26th, 1927. The canvas covering was applied by Roy on March 26th, 1927. The first filler coat was applied by Grant on March 26th, 1927. The second filler coat was applied by Grant on April 2nd, 1927. It was railed by Currie on April 9th, 1927. The original color was green. It was shipped on April 9th, 1927 to location "27-241". This location is probably an order number but we don't currently have enough information to identify it.

The scans of these build records can be found by following the links at the attached thumbnail images below. These original Kennebec records are reproduced through the courtesy of the Maine State Museum.

The microfilms and scans of these records were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) as you probably know well. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/join.php to join.

I hope that anyone else with any additional information or thoughts about this canoe will post them here. Thanks,

Benson

Attachments

• k-101509-a.gif
    k-101509-a.gif
    287.8 KB · Views: 355
  • k-101509-b.gif
    k-101509-b.gif
    216.2 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:
It looks like Dave wins the good eyes award on this one! The 17 foot Kennebec model canoe type 3a with number 15091 is shown on page 282 of volume two in the Kennebec ledgers. It was planked by Cameron on January 1st, 1921. The canvas covering and first filler coat was applied by Roy on the same day. The second filler coat was applied by Roundy on July 9th, 1921. It was railed by Grant on July 2nd, 1921. The original color was dark blue with a 3/4 inch gold stripe. It was shipped on July 9th, 1921 to Leominster, Mass.

The scans of these build records can be found by following the links at the attached thumbnail images below. These original Kennebec records are reproduced through the courtesy of the Maine State Museum.

The Kennebec type 3a had a 30 inch deck in the bow and a 24 inch deck in the stern which appears to be a much better match to the pictures of this canoe. Thanks,

Benson

Attachments

• k-15091-a.gif
    k-15091-a.gif
    385.6 KB · Views: 343
  • k-15091-b.gif
    k-15091-b.gif
    290.9 KB · Views: 372
Dave is right

I saw it too. There is a '1' stamped right on the edge of the silver and black. So the complete number is 15091. If I didn't just buy a canoe last week I might consider this one.

Another 5" in snow last night. Now it's raining on top of it all. Oh the joy.

Jim

Back