Jeep Canoe Rack

Brad Koeneman

Maker of fine kindling
I just purchased a '99 Jeep Wrangler Soft Top and intend for it to be my primary canoe hauler. Does anyone have any experience with any of the many after market racks for soft tops?
I am presently considering either the "Lange" system, or building something from scratch.
I am limited to a maximum 4' overhang in the back due to my camper which is frequently in tow.
Many thanks for any advice.

Jeep

I am on my third Jeep. Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Grand Cherokee. I use Yakima. My current '06 has the least friendly method. So, I am not much help for your Wrangler except to suggest a T bar off the front. Spotter hitches can accept store bought hitch racks. I have a front T-bar that I use for anyting 17' and over. It bolts to my Grill guard in place of where the winch would go if I had a winch. I used angle Iron and square stock and had my own design welded up.

For a SWB Jeep with soft top I would recommend the T-bar set-up for both front and rear. Obviously the rear would have to be modified to accommodate a ball for your trailer. Another option for the front (for shorter canoes) would be something similar to a light bar that bolts into the windshield hinges. The racks that you're considering are fairly light and bolt into the body tub (drill :eek: ) and windshield hinges. The weight and wind resistance of a canoe would likely induce a fair amount of lateral movement of the entire rack.

Back