Is this an all-wood boat?

Brad Fisher

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
A friend has asked me to help restore this unidentified boat. It has Old Town “ogee” decks, narrow planks, external stems, and half-round ribs. No stem number that I could find. No canvas, and he says it has never had canvas. The deckplate says “Canadian Canoe, Evansburg, CA”, or something like that, which he says is a precursor to Old town. Is it in fact a hundred-year-old pre-canvas boat? Where can I find out more about it? Thanks!
IMG_2066.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2068.jpeg
    IMG_2068.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2069.jpeg
    IMG_2069.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2071.jpeg
    IMG_2071.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0222.jpeg
    IMG_0222.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 128
It looks like other all wood canoes that I have seen advertised. Narrow planks and half round narrow ribs. Cool.

My guess is that you may have a Nipigon model from the Canadian Canoe Company in Peterborough, Ontario. See page 6 in their 1950 catalog at https://woodencanoemuseum.org/manufacturer-catalog/canadian-canoe-company-1950 for more details. The page at https://woodencanoemuseum.org/builder-history/canadian-canoe-company has more information about the company. I'm not aware of any connection between the Canadian Canoe Company and the Old Town Canoe Company. Can you provide a better image showing the deck decal? Good luck with the restoration,

Benson

Thanks Benson! I'll post better photos when I get the boat into my shop. The one above that shows the deck (upside down) actually does have a deck plate in it, very faint. It has the shield shape that suggest it's a Canadian.

Hi Brad, I agree with Benson's assessment of it being a Canadian Canoe Co. canoe and as such it would not have been canvased. Below is their decal should you wish to see if it matches?
Hope you'll post pictures as it will be a beautiful canoe!
ccc%20logo.jpg

Thanks. I “wood” appreciate any tips and/or experience restoring a boat like this. I’ve only done wood/canvas. I’d love to hear horror stories and mistakes to avoid.

Thanks!

Having done a cedar rib my general advice is to be kind and gentle with the canoe. What you don’t want to do is sand the tack heads down. Hand sand is best and probably safes.
Geoffrey Burkes “boat soup“ application will also help prior to varnish, varnish and oh,more varnish.
Do post more photos. Put some life and rich colour back into what looks like a lovely canoe.

I have it in my shop now, and it’s definitely a Canadian. There’s a better photo of the deck attached. I’m not sure of the age … couldn’t find a number on it. You’ll see that the owner has done a lot of sanding already, but gave up on the interior. Should I pick up sanding where he left off, or use a chemical stripper? Also, there are a few broken planks that have been fixed with screws and a backing plug. I’m assuming rebuilding these means sourcing new lapped planks. Any trick to installing them, or is it pretty much like a wood/canvas job?
IMG_2168.jpeg

IMG_2191.jpeg
Outwale profile

IMG_2190.jpeg
Stem band repair

IMG_2189.jpeg
Interesting scarf joints. They’re the same all around. I think maybe not a repair, but original, like the builder ran out of outwale?

IMG_2187.jpeg
Stems in pretty good shape.

IMG_2186.jpeg
Partially sanded interior. How best to finish off? Or just wash it down, seal with boat soup and varnish it to death? Note the repair on the right, backing a cracked plank.

IMG_2185.jpeg

Test varnish patch.

Attachments

• IMG_2168.jpeg
    IMG_2168.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 98
Hello Brad,
happy to have some conversations about your all wood, if you are interested. PM me if you would like to go over some aspects of them and their restoration and repair,
cheers,
Andre

Back