Is this a Chesnut, Bob's Special ?

Dennis Vidal

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I just returned from Ware, Ma with this canoe. I was told by the seller that it was purchased new by his Grandfather in 1956. He was told it is a Bob's special. I'm familiar with Old Town but not Chestnut. It is 14' 8" long, amidship it measures 33" I.D. ( inside inwale to inside inwale ), 36 1/2" O.D. ( outside outwale to outside outwale). planking is 4 3/4 ", ribs are 2 3/16", decks are birdseye maple. There are no markings that I can find. I attached a link to some pictures. I'll be taking the canvas off this weekend and hope to have it in the water when the ice is out.
Thanks. Dennis
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562083168gvEDqi

Attachments

• BobsFinished2.jpg
    BobsFinished2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 363
Unusual seats and birds eye maple decks makes me wonder if they're replacements. Short sides of seats are scalloped a bit and the caning pattern is atypical. Cut out on the deck is also a bit more aggressive than I've seen. Its a mid 50 Chestnut, good years for them, so maybe they'd do a maple deck.

Details

Hi Larry:

The decks and thwarts on my canoe are maple, although not nice and fancy birdseye maple that Dennis has. The seat caning is also true to my boat. I copied the original pattern, and I gotta say I like doing that method better. I think it is a faster method.

As you say, the seat rail detail on Dennis' canoe is new to me. Mine are 1X strips of maple slapped together (dowelled) and an irregular pattern of holes was drilled to facilitate caning. The edges are eased, but that is it.

The wide planking on Dennis' canoe surprises me, but maybe this is a fancy grade Chestnut???

Also, I'm not sure I see as much tumblehome on Dennis' canoe, although that can change with time or a thwart length etc.

I have no idea how old my canoe is. I was guessing 1930's, after the fire. The outwales have slotted screws and not Robertson, but that isn't much to go on.

I may bring mine to the Winter Meeting so we can ponder the details.:D

Cheers.

Fitz

Attachments

• Deck.jpg
    Deck.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 340
  • DeckCutOut.jpg
    DeckCutOut.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 319
  • OriginalCanePattern.jpg
    OriginalCanePattern.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
Larry & Fitz,
I removed the canvas yesterday and it appears to be original to the canoe. The stems didn't show any excess tack holes. According to the person I bought the canoe from, the canoe has been hanging in the rafters for most of it's life. All of the cant ribs except the one closest cant rib to the stem are the same width as the full ribs. The closest cant rib to the stem is definitely wider the the rest of the ribs. I've added more pictures to the link. Thanks, Dennis

http://community.webshots.com/album/562083168gvEDqi

Last edited:
The deck is a nice piece of work. Open end is beveled. Longer than later Chestnut decks, which tended to be short, clunky and unfinished. So I would say a 50s Bobs sounds about right. Any vestige of a decal on the deck?

No signs of decals. Unless I'm missing something: according to Dan Miller's site it has the features that put it under "Pre-Fire 1904-1921". It looks to be a straight forward restoration. I'll post more pictures as I get her ready for a spring/summer launch. Thanks for the input.
Dennis

http://dragonflycanoe.com/id/chestnut.html

Last edited:
Back