Is She Worth Saving????

If you don't rescue this canoe, it will be on your mind forever-- so it's better to get 'er than to forget 'er. If you're familiar with some of the posts here by Dave Wermuth and Fred Capapos, you know that canoes in much worse shape have been made beautiful again.

Our mania for old canoes is amazing. I also have three canoes which need repair. That did not stop me from buying another canoe the other day. My neighbors wonder about the several tarpaulin covered hulks sitting in my backyard. And, my wife would be pleased if I would "release" at least one canoe to the world. (See classifieds for my Thompson Hiawatha.)

Mark Douglass

Sorry,no idea what it is. The decks, stems, seat mounting and seats appear to be wrong for it to be a Peterborough. I'm thinking that it is Canadian made in Quebec or Ontario. Not Tremblay, Huron or Faber though. Early Langford? Hopefully someone else can identify it.

It's worth it

Look at what I repaired (not a total restoration). I needed the help of Pam Wedd, though. The canoe is on the left in the group photo.

P1000064.JPGP1000067.JPGP1000071.JPGP1000391.JPG

Well, there's inspiration for ya!
Nicely done too!!.
Yup, for the price I'm on my way this weekend to rescue my canoe......thanks folks..maybe more better pics when I get it home.

Is She Worth Saving????
Short answer, no. You'll find that the verolite covering has rotted the boat beyond reasonable salvation. Sure, anything is rebuildable and a lot of boats have been brought back from the brink, but this one doesnt deserve it. Put the time and money into your other boats with better pedigrees, you'll be glad you did. Just sayin......
Any progress on your other boats so far? Spring paddling comes fast.....

Is She Worth Saving????
Short answer, no. You'll find that the verolite covering has rotted the boat beyond reasonable salvation. Sure, anything is rebuildable and a lot of boats have been brought back from the brink, but this one doesnt deserve it. Put the time and money into your other boats with better pedigrees, you'll be glad you did. Just sayin......

Andre, I am puzzled about your comment. How can you tell it is covered with verolite? I had never heard of it before this. Is it more likely to rot a boat than glass? Is it bonded, or tacked on?

Sure would like to see a profile view,

as a very wild SWAG, those ribs, sharp chine and flat floor sure remind me of the Ogilvee's.

Dan

Verolite was (is) a vinyl impregnated canvas that gets around the traditional requirement of filling the canvas weave, painting, and so on. Tremblay canoes, among others, used it a lot - you will find lots of discussion about it on the forums. That boat really resembles those built by the builders in Quebec, with their total lack of tumblehome and wide, squared ribs. The inner gunwales are tall, and it has the overall feel of one of their boats. I could be wrong , but my money is on verolite since the boat is rotting from the inside out yet the only apparent damage to its skin is tearing, and its nice and glossy(albeit wet), not at all appearing as canvas would consistent with the rest of the boats condition. And yes, like Dave posted in another thread, I too got one just like this and had to send it on to its final reward. Live and learn; a boat with rotted canvas or even no canvas will last 10x longer than one with that stuff wrapped around it with the elements working on it. Like I said, you can redo it but there are better built boats that would present less of a challenge, even at 100 years old and without any historical or personal significance you might want to pick a different boat. That said, it would of course burn just as well as any of them...:D

Oh and Dan, whats a SWAG?

Is She Worth Saving????

It did not dawn on me that this may be Verolite covering! Well, I think I have to see it in person....It's an hour'n'a half drive from here, so I gotta wait til the weekend. Stay tuned!
I have my Chestnut Playmate stripped inside and out.Cleaned and the ribs and planking are in the shed waiting. I do not yet have my supplies ie:tacks nails canvas or filler.
Need to work on the stems and decks of course, also some of the rib tops need repair or replaced. Very difficult to find decent gunnel stock for some reason. Ash is VERY difficult to get clear stuff, unless I'm looking in all the wrong places. MAy go with Spruce gunnels instead.

After doing my research, I believe this canoe to either be a Langford or Tremblay.
And once pointed out to my inexperienced eyes, the skin appears to be Verolite. I'm disappointed and don't want to waste time and money just to go see it only to leave it behind.
But maybe the planking and ribs are not that bad off???
I may make the trip just the same...I gotta know!
Thanks for all the posts and comments. This is how we new guys learn!

It did not dawn on me that this may be Verolite covering! Well, I think I have to see it in person....It's an hour'n'a half drive from here, so I gotta wait til the weekend. Stay tuned!
I have my Chestnut Playmate stripped inside and out.Cleaned and the ribs and planking are in the shed waiting. I do not yet have my supplies ie:tacks nails canvas or filler.
Need to work on the stems and decks of course, also some of the rib tops need repair or replaced. Very difficult to find decent gunnel stock for some reason. Ash is VERY difficult to get clear stuff, unless I'm looking in all the wrong places. MAy go with Spruce gunnels instead.

If you are in need of ash I have a bunch that should suit your needs. You'll likely be happier travelling an hour my way for some ash than the hour to pick up that canoe :)
I'm with Andre on that canoe, if you already have a few to work on, this one is a good one to pass up.
My guess on the maker would be one of the native reserves (Big Cove?)in N.B. that were making canoes after Chestnut went under.

Other than the verolite, i'd actually think it was one of Dell Nason's canoes out of McAdam, i believe he only used fiberglass though.....

Filler and other required materials you may need should be available in Oromocto if you need a source for other stuff.

Jamie
Fredericton

Last edited:
Andre,

Silly Wild Axx Guess

Used in business to describe the resolution of cost estimates before real numbers come in.

Dan

Well, after much deliberation, I decided to let this one go.
The money spent in gas to go look at it can be better used to buy supplies for my other canoe projects.
I found someone nearby willing to sell me some decent wood and I still need canvas etc. so....moving forward here.
So, farewell, rest in pieces. Ther will be others that I may HAVE to bring home.

Back